PDA

View Full Version : Having issues

Flowmaster
10/07/2009, 04:47 PM
I have been having some serious issues with some of my SPS. Most seem to be bleaching but still have polyp extension. Coral seem to get worse when I changed my reflectors but seemed to start stabilizing. However, I recharged my DI resins about two months back. I do not know if lighting is the problem or if the DI recharged resins may be. Anyway, I followed the procedure to recharge them which is posted on RC. Has anyone else had issues once recharging resins? I checked the pH of the water in the reservoir before using it and I also checked the TDS, pH was around 7.6 and TDS are approximately 2. I contribute the TDS to an old RO membrane, which if used without the DI resins would hit around 30 TDS. Do you guys think there could be a problem coming from the resins? I rinsed them with several gallons of water before filling my reservoir and everything seemed to test ok.

bertoni
10/07/2009, 09:29 PM
The TDS should be close to zero when using fresh DI resins, most likely. What is the TDS of the tap water and the output from the RO stage?

The new reflectors might be putting a lot more light into the system, which definitely can cause problems.

Flowmaster
10/07/2009, 10:06 PM
Tap usually runs around 200ppm. I know my RO is getting me down to 15 maybe. After it goes through DI which I split into separate beds I am hitting 2ppm. I would guess that could be leached out of the container. But at 2ppm the water should be fine to use. I just cannot figure out why I am seeing such problems with my coral.

Flipper62
10/07/2009, 10:25 PM
Tap usually runs around 200ppm. I know my RO is getting me down to 15 maybe. After it goes through DI which I split into separate beds I am hitting 2ppm. I would guess that could be leached out of the container. But at 2ppm the water should be fine to use. I just cannot figure out why I am seeing such problems with my coral.

What meter are you using to measure the TDS ?

In my opinion, a TDS reading of 2 is not good. I use a COM-100 Portable meter. It reads right down to the 0.0.

Most meters will read 0.0 TDS up until the tds gets to 1.0. Then it will start reading 1.1 / 1.3 / 1.5 ect...ect...

The COM-100 will read the true 0.1 / 0.3 ect ect.

If the TDS reads anything above 0.9.....just shy of 1.0........I scrap it & change out the RO/DI filters

tmz
10/07/2009, 11:42 PM
I think 2ppm post di is a problem. With only 15ppm in the resin should do 0 for quite a while.
New lighing could also be aprobem.

Buckeye Hydro
10/08/2009, 04:21 AM
With 15 ppm out of the RO, you should get about 330 gallons from your DI cartridge.

bertoni
10/08/2009, 08:35 AM
How bad 2 ppm is depends on what's in that 2 ppm. I would replace the DI media and perhaps check the TDS device.