PDA

View Full Version : temp and ph probe question

es1887
10/07/2009, 07:02 PM
i got the aqua controller about a week or so ago. i am having serious problems with the temp probe, at least i think i am. my coral life digital thermometer reads 82.9, but my temp probe reads 72.3. my halides are on and i have never had a problem with my corallife thermometer. even an in tank mercury thermometer reads about 82 or so. i thought this was supposed to work out of the box. what do i do to get it right? am i supposed to put my ph probe in solution to calibrate it when i get it? if so why would they send it to me? this thing is cool and all, but is quite the pain. i have just reset it to its default by initializing all, is that ok or no? please help with this i just want this thing to work properly.

es1887
10/07/2009, 07:57 PM
please anyone? the temp keeps jumping up and down from 75 down to 72 in less than 5 min and back up. i do not think this is the temp of the tank. it feels much warmer to me. what can i do? please

es1887
10/07/2009, 08:03 PM
what can i trust? this thing is new and i have used the corallife digital thermometer for quite sometime with accurate readings, or so i thought. just talking to myself here. every time i calibrate it it just goes back to around 70

kenargo
10/07/2009, 09:01 PM
Which controller and what other probes do you have connected. Have you tried isolating the probes in separate glasses or water to verify that you are not getting any types of electrical interference.

I assume you purchased the controller new?

es1887
10/08/2009, 07:18 AM
it is an apex and i only have one of each and no orp. i did that last night and it was getting incorrect readings. i moved my ballast about 7 ft away and wrapped up the cord to make sure it is not touching any other cords and i think i may have solved the problem. i will find out today when the halides turn on.

Bud's Reef
10/08/2009, 07:45 AM
If I read your first post correctly, then the answer is "Yes" you need to calibrate both the temperature and PH probes before they will read accurately although I would have expected the temp probe to ba a little closer.

tamu
10/08/2009, 08:14 AM
Yes, your temperature readings on the Apex was off due to interference from your MHs.

Rerouting the cables/ballasts and coiling up any excess cable on the temperature probe is your bet.

I still get a slight drop temporarily while the MHs turn on for the day. It takes a little less than a minute, but the temperature returns to normal.

es1887
10/08/2009, 10:08 PM
you would think that if they sent you the lab grade ph probe they would send you the stuff you need to get accurate readings, and if i had i known i would have ordered it. i moved all of my ballasts and it now is giving an accurate reading i feel. i just do not know which one to believe cause now they are both just a little off. now it is just the issue with the aqua medic dosing pump i just bought. that thing is a real piece of you know what.

Lowefx
01/19/2012, 09:57 PM
how do you calibrate the therm, i threw away the manual. If i tap the power button a few times, it gives me a total different reading. I dont know how or why this happens. and help is appreciated.

RussM
01/19/2012, 10:49 PM
i threw away the manualhttp://www.neptunesys.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=49&Itemid=48

Metal Man 1221
01/20/2012, 02:59 AM
Interesting, would a PC ballast give the same effects?

My GF recently aquired an Apex Jr. for her nano and the temp readings are very unstable during the photo period. The Apex is next to the ballast with the probe cable running by it.