PDA

View Full Version : My Euphyllia Is Dead! Why? I need Help Please

kevinfa
10/07/2009, 08:09 PM
I have a 14 gallon biocube

Light: 10,000 k 24wt actinic 24 wt, I started around mid june with live sand and a week later added 12 lbs liver rock, cleaning crew join the system I have a red shrimp and when I feed the Euphyllia it just jump on them and steal their food. Could it be the reason it died? I try to feed it separately then feed the Euphyllia. Calcium is around 460 PH 8.2 everything else reads at 0. I tried to raise the calcium with a cap of "Reef Complete". Anything else should I be concern about?

My Euphyllia is completely dead now, but I need to figure this out why they are dying.
http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz88/kevinfa/580.jpg?t=1254967720

Henry Bowman
10/07/2009, 08:16 PM
The shrimp was probably irritating it when scavenging food. Hard to tell if it starved or if there were other issues within your tank. I'd recomend trying another LPS coral. Feed the shrimp and then feed the coral, while the shrimp is busy with it's own meal.

Make sure you keep an eye on alk and calcium. The calcium needs to be in the 400 ppm range or a little higher but the ALK needs to remain very steady for most corals to thrive. Any extreme alk, below 7.5 or above 14 dKH are stressful to corals as well as alk swings i.e. it needs to be rock solid at a targeted reading of say, 9 or so is good.

None of us like to see the loss of life in a tank but dont get discouraged. I do not know of anyone that has been successful in this hobby without some losses.

MrRyanT
10/07/2009, 08:17 PM
Really tough to pinpoint what might be wrong without more info. Could be too much or not enough water flow, not enough light, or just something in the water that you haven't found. Do you use RODI water?

kevinfa
10/07/2009, 08:46 PM
I get my R/O Water from the LFS and I don't test them before use assuming it is the type they will use for their own live stock! My Euphyllia was doing very good for about 2-3 weeks and suddenly they died! maybe is suddenly for me but they were suffering for sometime.

kevinfa
10/07/2009, 09:08 PM
By the way what my calcium level should be? it is 46 now.

Henry Bowman
10/07/2009, 09:25 PM
Calcium should run betwee 400 - 420 to keep corals.

MrRyanT
10/07/2009, 09:32 PM
Calcium should run betwee 400 - 420 to keep corals.
I agree, but don't see 460 as a problem. As already stated, a steady alk is necessary and magnesium should be around 1200-1300. I really suspect a water chemistry issue here, but am really curious about what type of flow pattern and how much flow you have in the tank. Was the euphyllia in direct flow?

kevinfa
10/07/2009, 09:45 PM
I am not sure but I use a Koralia nano on the other side almost close to the top of the tank. I tried not put the coral in the direction of the Koralia but it might be a little to much for them not sure, could that be an issue? all other test I run reads 0 like nitrate, nitrite, and ... Could it be light?