PDA

View Full Version : Can too much Carbon (GAC) be bad?

Reefer08
10/08/2009, 03:23 AM
Can too much Carbon (Granular Activated Carbon) be bad? Is it possible that the carbon will strip too much out of the water column? Ive always doubled the suggested amount which is 1 cup per 100g, so ive done about 2 cups per 100g.

My results have been crystal clear water always. Any negatives from too much carbon?

Thanks

HighlandReefer
10/08/2009, 06:06 AM
Running too much carbon when first initiated can cause problems with too much light getting through. This could cause bleaching problems for some coral.

After you have adjusted your coral to the increased light by running GAC, then it seems to be a guessing game, since there is not much scientific evidence on what is happening in the tank. Many micro-nutrients like iodine are contained in organic matter in large quantities. There is some speculation that these micro-nutrients may be reduced too low.

Since the salt mixes are very high in these micro-nutrients, I would be surprised if it really is a problem with regular water changes. Plus food sources tend to be high in iodine and many micro-nutrients. ;)

bertoni
10/08/2009, 08:38 AM
I agree. I haven't seen much indication of problems from GAC. I suppose it's possible, but I wouldn't worry much about the amount you're using. I regularly used far more than that on a per gallon basis, and never had any troubles. I wasn't keeping Acropora and other touchy corals, though.

Boomer
10/08/2009, 11:40 AM
Reefer I use to use in the olden day 1 l / 50 gal ( 4.5 cups). It is not an issue of to much it is an issue of wasting it, or over-kill. For most 1/2 cup 50 gals is enough. A FOT may need more and even some reef tanks may need more. So, your 1 cup /50 gal is fine.

lordofthereef
10/08/2009, 01:50 PM
A bit off topic, but how often do you change it out?

Billybeau1
10/08/2009, 02:34 PM
I change mine every six weeks. Some change it sooner. It is hard to tell when GAC is exhausted.

It seems the average of everyone I've read is about 4 weeks. :)

Reefer08
10/08/2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses. I will continue using 1 cup per 50g then.