PDA

View Full Version : tricks for getting cbb's on flakes

screwsloose
10/08/2009, 09:29 AM
i have had my guy now for 5 weeks and he is doing good but not fat. so far i have him eating steady on mysids and spirolina brine shrimp but would like to convert him over to flakes or a few more varied foods. im looking for any successful tricks someone has used.
i thought of thawing the mysids then refreezing them with flakes mixed in and see if he would eventually turn to them. let me know what you have done.

Outerbank
10/08/2009, 09:45 AM
Mine would only eat frozen food. It ate like a pig, just never touched flakes or pellots.

screwsloose
10/08/2009, 09:47 AM
im ok with that if thats all he will eat, but i would like to get him on something else for a varied diet. in the mean time its vita chem and selcon soaked food for suppliment

29reef
10/08/2009, 06:28 PM
Maybe try reading the "CBB Primer" at the top of this forum.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1492696

Bonsai Boi
10/08/2009, 07:49 PM
do they eat flakes? I've never heard of this, but definitely interested to know any tricks as well

Terra Ferma
10/08/2009, 08:13 PM
IME
1) turn off all flow so they get a good sniff of the flakes before it blows away

2) You may need to experiment with several types of flake before they find one to start feeding on

the_rider
10/08/2009, 08:35 PM
I tried "everything" to get him to eat flakes but it did work yet

I tried to put flake in mysis juice, it got him confused and he pick 2 flakes but spat them out immediatly and never touch them again, I feed flakes each morning and even if he's begging for food, he does show any interest for flake even when flake hit is face he doesn't care ... I also left for a week-end and nobody feed him, when I was back, I feed flakes soaked in mysis juice and mysis afterward and he did pick on any flakes either.

I would really like to find a way to make him eat flakes but I never read a CBB that eats flakes ... Maybe in this thread we will find one :)

screwsloose
10/08/2009, 09:23 PM
Maybe try reading the "CBB Primer" at the top of this forum.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1492696

i have read the primer. every page of it. but didnt want to stray off topic to ask this question. well so far my guy is eating mysid, brine, and as of tonight he started on muscles. i have made hima special feeder that the other fish cant get into so the foods there for him when ever he wants it and it is working great so far. i have just started adding flakes and formula 2 pellets into the feeder with the rest and hope soon to see him take one or the other. fingers crossed.

keep any good ideas coming on gettingone to eat anything other then mysids. i have tried a few cbb's and this is the first promise of success i have had so i want to roll with it while the irons hot lol.

falconut
10/09/2009, 04:00 PM
Mine loves frozen brine and mysis, but won't eat any flakes or pellets. But he does love the worms. My LFS always has live blackworms. I hand feed mine blackworms. Great food for them if you can get them. If you can't find live, they may have frozen. HTH