PDA

View Full Version : Phos & Carbon flow question

Montezuma
10/08/2009, 10:54 AM
I got a media reactor from bulkreef kast night, and I was wondering if I could put both phos and carbon in 1, just split it with a sponge? What would be the downside of that?

Also, im wondering what kind of flow is required for each. If I get 2 reactors, can I run them using 1 pump? like a mj1200?

Can I link the 2 reactors using 1 pump? like first phose, that leads to carbon? Just getting ideas. thanks

coralnut99
10/08/2009, 11:09 AM
Phosban or the equivelant, doesn't need much in the way of flow. The idea is to see the stuff gently roll in the vessel. It should look "fluidized". The diffuser plate and sponge at the bottom are there to assure even flow distribution up through the GFO. Carbon should need about the same flow, but with the bigger grains, it won't roll in the vessel. Both materials will start to break down if too much flow is blasted through the reactor(as well as inadequate contact time), and in the case of gfo some might even get past the sponges and into the tank/sump. A 1200 would be overkill even if you split the flow to the two reactors. I've had mine for eons and I split a 900 at the outlet to supply two reactors and it still has to be throttled back a bit. Honestly, I never thought of running them linked one after the other, I've alwasy split the flow at the MJ and supplied them separately. Maybe someone can weigh in on the pros and cons.

Montezuma
10/08/2009, 11:44 AM
thanks for the info. What did you use to split them at the MJ

coralnut99
10/08/2009, 11:56 AM
It doesn't require anythinig fancy. 1/2" barbed T fitting, 2 90 degree barbed elbows, and clear vynil hose to connect it all. It's been a while, but I think the hose needs to be 3/8" ID. To get it to fit over the end of the 1/2" fittings you just dip the end of the hose in a small pot of hot water. It softens quickly and will stretch over the larger fittings easily. The smaller ID hose is needed to accomodate the small outlet of MJ's. All available at Home Depot for a few dollars total.

david pinder
10/26/2009, 09:20 PM
I have 2 phos reactors hooked together have no problem with tumbling in either lowered my phosphates to almost zero

Laddy
10/27/2009, 01:19 PM
I have two reactors running off one pump (Eheim Compact 600) with a foot of headspace. I've never really noticed an impairment running them inline before.

evoracer
10/27/2009, 03:45 PM
I also run them daisy-chained, simplifies installation and works fine.

Av8bluewater
10/29/2009, 10:45 PM
You can run both in one reactor. The problem is they exhaust at different timeframes. If you separate them with an extra sponge that may work. Not sure if it would flow properly but may be worth a try.
Flow with a light tumble.

JHemdal
10/30/2009, 05:20 AM
I would NOT advocate running carbon in a reactor that can tumble it. Carbon is a known cause for Head and Lateral Line Erosion, and there is evidence that carbon fines (dust) causes it in some cases. Tumbling just creates more fines. If you micron filter the effluent, or have a good skimmer working, you may not see any issues, but better safe than sorry.

Jay

billbigsbe1
11/01/2009, 04:22 PM
Agree with both JHemdal and av8bluewater. I have chatted many times with Andrew @ Bulk Reef Supply, Two pumps for two medias for two different flow rates. Also makes adjustments much easier. Make sure to keep a good "Level/ True" reactor. Any "Lean or list" in any dirrection will make your media tumble crooked, in return dead spot the media. Gfo lasts anywhere from 20-40 days, carbon reaches its term around 3-4 days!

Dave