PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on blue hippo tang....

spw4949
10/08/2009, 01:18 PM
So I have always thought that a tang of any species should not go in a tank any less than 4 feet long....with that being said I am thinking of adding a 2" blue hippo to my 46 gallon reef, (3 foot tank). Should I just forget it? I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me yes, forget it & move on......

sharkboy11
10/08/2009, 01:25 PM
i wouldn't, maybe a small kole or tomini(sp) but not a hippo tang.

Haksar
10/08/2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah too small.Kole is a good bet but even for that its a bit small.

stingythingy45
10/08/2009, 01:36 PM
Do you plan to upgrade eventually?

Too Sweet
10/08/2009, 02:02 PM
The tang police came at me for owning a hippo tank in a 29gal tank... she was 1in then that was about a year ago. Now I upgraded to a 55gal tank, she is now 3 inches and to me she is happy. I will continue to upgrade as I see fit. But hippo tangs in MY opinion are lovely fish! I feed her fresh seaweed and algea from the ocean 3 times a week.

jenjen
10/08/2009, 02:28 PM
Ohh, I wouldn't do it. There are plenty of beautiful fish which are much more suited to a tank that size. Tangs 'patrol', at least the ones in my tank do. They are constantly on the move and tend to run the same circuit almost all the time, like swimming laps. Since they're a large fish, this means their laps will have to be very small in a smaller tank.

If you plan to upgrade, wait until you do then spoil yourself with a tang as the first addition to your new tank. In the meantime, have fun exploring the other fish species and finding unique fish that suit your taste and are more suited to the tank you have now.

Just my opinion. :)