PDA

View Full Version : Which test kit to trust

ryshark
10/08/2009, 08:46 PM
I have always used API to test for KH but today I decided to try another brand since a couple of my sps are not looking so hot right now. The LFS I went to had ELOS so I decided to give it a shot. The Elos test kit reads a KH of around 6 maybe 6.5 and the API is reading around 7.5
Which of the two would you trust? Either way, I am working on rasing it up.

Flipper62
10/08/2009, 08:56 PM
I like the API kits, but their good for higher levels...not so good on low levels.

I also like the Salifert kits. If I had to say...what do I like better, I would have to say overall....the Salifert kits.

arinova8
10/08/2009, 10:01 PM
its always good to test with serveral brands for accuracy

Flipper62
10/08/2009, 10:56 PM
its always good to test with serveral brands for accuracy

NOT TRUE

Different brands will have different readings. If you keep changing brands, how will ever know what is the correct reading. You can test up untill you get the reading that your looking for...??? then that the correct one ???

I do use tha API kits as well as the Salifert kits. I only use the API kit to do a quick test a few times a week, to keep a eye on things. Its cheeper

When I do my water changes and do my regular accurate tests....its the Salifert kit.

In my opinion.....Pick a test kit & stick with it. I suggest that you use the same brand kit that your LFS uses. This way you can take some water into him from time to time & let him check it. See how your readings compare to his readings.

iFisch
10/08/2009, 11:37 PM
I know this is a little OT, but what salt are you using?

ryshark
10/08/2009, 11:55 PM
I know this is a little OT, but what salt are you using?

I have been using Tropic Marin Pro Reef, but I am now trying D-D. So far I have only done one weekly pwc with the D-D. I read somewhere that the TMPR is better for those with calcium reactors, thats why I decided to try the DD. My first impression of the DD is that the bucket handle sucks, it broke on me before I could even carry it out of the store. The lid is a pain to get off and it doesn't mix/disolve nearly as easy as the TMPR. On the positive side, it required less scoops of salt to get to 1.026 than the TMPR required.

Flipper62
10/09/2009, 12:27 AM
The salt brand that you are using doesn't really have anything to do with your tests......as far as Nitrates...phosphates.

Differents salts will have Higher or lower levels in things like...Calcium...Alk...Mag.....ect..ect.

iFisch
10/09/2009, 12:30 AM
The salt brand that you are using doesn't really have anything to do with your tests......as far as Nitrates...phosphates.

Differents salts will have Higher or lower levels in things like...Calcium...Alk...Mag.....ect..ect.

I know, that's why I said it's a little "OT". ;)

That's pretty low alk - and I was just curious as to what salt he was using.

Billybeau1
10/09/2009, 06:50 AM
I have always used API to test for KH but today I decided to try another brand since a couple of my sps are not looking so hot right now. The LFS I went to had ELOS so I decided to give it a shot. The Elos test kit reads a KH of around 6 maybe 6.5 and the API is reading around 7.5

ry, most hobby grade kits are only going to give you 1 dkh either way. So lets say you are on the low side right now. Boost it up to 9 or 10dkh and see if things improve. If you stay in the middle of the acceptable scale, at least you will know if alkalinity is your problem. I'm not convinced yet that it is. :)

Good luck

cmoresps
10/09/2009, 11:51 AM
Billybeau, I know you are kind of the subject matter expert on test kit accuracy. API test kits are accurate for nitrates right?

lordofthereef
10/09/2009, 03:36 PM
NOT TRUE

Different brands will have different readings. If you keep changing brands, how will ever know what is the correct reading. You can test up untill you get the reading that your looking for...??? then that the correct one ???

I imagine the statement of using different kits was meant as try different ones at the same time, not simply cycle through them every time you are out. This way you have something to compare a number to. Say you have an API test reading 340 Ca and a Salifert reading 450. Obviously one is off, but you would not have known that about either if you had nothing to compare it to. I like to use two different kits as comparison every now and then. If one is glaringly different, I know I need to look into the problem further.

edvale
10/09/2009, 04:46 PM
I have a 30gallon and am testing the water just about daily and have good results w/ api and they are no were the price of other brands

Billybeau1
10/09/2009, 09:43 PM
Billybeau, I know you are kind of the subject matter expert on test kit accuracy. API test kits are accurate for nitrates right?

Well, they do not test low levels well. Actually not at all. The color chart is 160, 80, 40, 20, 10, 5 and zero. It is almost impossible to get a number between 40 and 20 and even harder to get a number between 10 and 0.

I just purchased a new API kit for my nitrate test kit study. I will probably do the test on Sunday. :)

sedor
10/09/2009, 09:47 PM
Personally, I use Salifert and have always been happy with the results. On an SPS reef I would always use a higher end kit like Salifert or Elos, but with anything else I think API would be just fine.

Billybeau1
10/09/2009, 09:49 PM

ry, also, I just received a new API kh kit and a new Salifert alkalintiy kit.

I was pleased to see just a 1dkh difference between my old API and my new API. I was equally pleased to see only a 0.5 dkh difference between my old Salifert kh kit and the new one. :)

ryshark
10/09/2009, 10:56 PM
ry, also, I just received a new API kh kit and a new Salifert alkalintiy kit.

I was pleased to see just a 1dkh difference between my old API and my new API. I was equally pleased to see only a 0.5 dkh difference between my old Salifert kh kit and the new one. :)

Good to know, thanks... I think I need to do like you said earlier. Just figure there will be some error with whatever kit and shoot for somewhere around 9 and there will be a good chance that I will be in the 8-10 range. Did the old API kit test higer or lower than the new one?

Billybeau1
10/09/2009, 11:04 PM
The old kit tested 9 dkh and the new kit tested 10 dkh.

I might add, the old kit was 2 years old.

My old Salifert read 9.9 dkh and my new one read 10.2 dkh.

I think it is a good move to target the middle of the scale. Then at least you'll know alkalinity is not your problem. :thumbsup:

Peter Eichler
10/10/2009, 12:07 AM
The old kit tested 9 dkh and the new kit tested 10 dkh.

I might add, the old kit was 2 years old.

My old Salifert read 9.9 dkh and my new one read 10.2 dkh.

I think it is a good move to target the middle of the scale. Then at least you'll know alkalinity is not your problem. :thumbsup:

With brand new API kits the drops are sometimes a little smaller for the first few tests. Just something to consider...

Billybeau1
10/10/2009, 02:03 AM
With brand new API kits the drops are sometimes a little smaller for the first few tests. Just something to consider...

Peter, what makes you say that ?

I have not experienced that problem yet.

Flipper62
10/10/2009, 02:48 AM

Hhhmmmmm..........Agree with billybeau1

I have never seen that.......It doesn't mater even how hard you sqeeze the bottle.......the drops come out the same size.

Toadally
10/10/2009, 08:19 AM
I went through the same thing...using different test kits and getting different readings from each one. I finally picked one and have stuck with it. I agree, stay in the middle of the recommended range and you'll be fine.

Peter Eichler
10/10/2009, 03:23 PM
Peter, what makes you say that ?

I have not experienced that problem yet.

I've experienced it twice now with new API alkalinity kits. Doesn't always happen with new kits, but of the 4 new alkalinity kits I've had in recent years I've had I noticed it with two of them. The first time I just kept using the kit and the drops went back to normal after some use and the level dropped slightly the following day. The second time I just disposed of a small amount of reagent down the sink and it was fine and matched my older kit after doing so. I'm not saying that there isn't going to be a little variance between kits, but this is another possibility for your variance.