PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium Test Kits

jglackin
10/08/2009, 08:53 PM
I would like to get a good test kit for mg. Ideally, I would prefer to use a digital titrator, but Hach doesn't have anything for mg.

Yourfeedback is appreciated.

kfisc
10/08/2009, 09:09 PM
Salifert is extremely easy to use; no complaints.

kev apsley
10/08/2009, 09:21 PM
I vote Elos

Reefer Steve
10/08/2009, 09:57 PM
+1 Salifert

Billybeau1
10/09/2009, 07:07 AM
I've tested every one on your list but one.

The only two hobby grade mag kits I found reasonably accurate are Salifert and Elos. The others are not even close.

Even Salifert and Elos can get a little skewy now and then as there is a lot of test noise in hobby grade magnesium kits. Don't expect the number to be exactly the same every time. :)

tmz
10/09/2009, 11:09 AM
I use and am happy with Salifert. I have also used Seachem. It's ok and cross matched thw Salifert pretty well but it's harder to use in my experience.

jglackin
10/09/2009, 12:22 PM

The only two hobby grade mag kits I found reasonably accurate are Salifert and Elos. The others are not even close.

Even Salifert and Elos can get a little skewy now and then as there is a lot of test noise in hobby grade magnesium kits. Don't expect the number to be exactly the same every time. :)

I am very spoiled with testing. I have a digital titrator, electronic stir plate, and Hach test pillows for calcium and alk and then I have access to a photospectrometer for nitrate, nitrites, and phoshates. The only thing I can't do is mg. I hate these "count the drops, hold it up to the light" test kits.

rkaires
10/09/2009, 12:41 PM
Elos

swearint
10/09/2009, 01:55 PM

Billy,

I currently use the Salifert, and would like your opinion on the Elos. My only issue with the Salifert is the color shift is very subtle. Does the Elos work the same way, if so is the color shift any more pronounced?

Todd

luther1200
10/09/2009, 03:03 PM
I am very spoiled with testing. I have a digital titrator, electronic stir plate, and Hach test pillows for calcium and alk and then I have access to a photospectrometer for nitrate, nitrites, and phoshates. The only thing I can't do is mg. I hate these "count the drops, hold it up to the light" test kits.

If you hate the count the drop type you will not like the Elos. You have to count the drops, as many as 35 the first time it has taken me. Then rinse out the vial and do a second test and count the drops, usually 5-10, then subtract the 2 results and multiply by 50. Its a bit much for a simple Mg test IMO. I would recommend Salifert, where you just fill a vial and use the syringe to get the color change and read a value off of the chart.

jglackin
10/09/2009, 03:56 PM
If you hate the count the drop type you will not like the Elos. You have to count the drops, as many as 35 the first time it has taken me. Then rinse out the vial and do a second test and count the drops, usually 5-10, then subtract the 2 results and multiply by 50. Its a bit much for a simple Mg test IMO. I would recommend Salifert, where you just fill a vial and use the syringe to get the color change and read a value off of the chart.

Yup, that would tip me over. No chance I am doing that.

p.s. Love the chevron tang. My favorite.

luther1200
10/09/2009, 05:18 PM
Yes, me too. I can't take credit for that 1 though. It isn't mine I just love that picture.

jglackin
10/09/2009, 05:41 PM
I have one, but it is more purple and a darker brown. Still a very beautiful fish.

Billybeau1
10/09/2009, 09:57 PM
Well Jim, for magnesium you have one other option. Hach makes a General Hardness test kit that measures seawater gh. General Hardness is made up of calcium and magnesium. You simply measure your tanks general hardness and subtract calcium. The rest is magnesium for the most part. Or at least close enough for our purposes. :D

jglackin
10/09/2009, 10:06 PM
Yeah, that's what they have told me. I may go that way. I am just not into droppers and syringes and color strips.

Billybeau1
10/09/2009, 10:09 PM
Well, I can't say that because I'm a testing fool. :jester:

Good luck. :)

jglackin
10/15/2009, 05:21 AM
Thank you all for the feedback and voting. It's been very helpful.

Billybeau1
10/15/2009, 11:35 AM
Billy,

I currently use the Salifert, and would like your opinion on the Elos. My only issue with the Salifert is the color shift is very subtle. Does the Elos work the same way, if so is the color shift any more pronounced?

Todd

Todd, the trick to the Salifert is to go real slow when you are getting close and swirl the tube for a few seconds after each drop. When you see the color disappear, that is the end point. Clear is the gray you are looking for.

The Elos is pretty accurate but you must double the water sample and the reagents. Then each drop of the final titrant is 50 ppm instead of 100 ppm. Of course you use more of the kit faster that way. The color change is pretty much the same with both kits. :)

ksed
10/15/2009, 12:35 PM
Todd, the trick to the Salifert is to go real slow when you are getting close and swirl the tube for a few seconds after each drop. When you see the color disappear, that is the end point. Clear is the gray you are looking for.

The Elos is pretty accurate but you must double the water sample and the reagents. Then each drop of the final titrant is 50 ppm instead of 100 ppm. Of course you use more of the kit faster that way. The color change is pretty much the same with both kits. :)

Billy

When dosing the Salifert can you go fast up to the point where you have an idea of where your at. Or do you have to go drop by drop and swirl after each drop.

Thanks

Kevin

Billybeau1
10/15/2009, 12:47 PM
I usually dump about 1/2 of the syringe in and swirl for 10 seconds or so, then start a couple drops at a time swirling after each. Once you do it for awhile, you can tell when it is getting close. :)

elosusa
10/15/2009, 02:28 PM
The new elos kit is 50ppm as standard precision. This kit has been on the market for about a year. Just to clarify.

Billybeau1
10/15/2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the reminder Jesse. I did hear that sometime back, but forgot.

I'm sure it is just as good as the first one I tested. :)