PDA

View Full Version : Just started with some lps my calcium needs a boost

Frogmanx82
10/09/2009, 12:13 AM
Alkalinity is high at 13 but calcium is only 340. What is the best additive to get my calcium up? I had been using purple up but the bottle is empty and want to know if I should do the same or something else.

When I upgraded to a 90 gallon tank, my calcium dropped from 380 to 340 though the alk stayed high.

Billybeau1
10/09/2009, 06:55 AM
I would pick up some Turbo Calcium or Reef Complete. Either one will get your level up quickly.

They are both listed in the Chemicals calculator for dosing instructions. :)

It would take a lot of Purple up to match the calcium in these two products.

Mathfreak71
10/09/2009, 07:24 AM
Mrs. Wages pickling lime. Do a search for it. You will find threads about how to make your own Kalk. It is pretty balanced stuff so I don't think it will cause a problem with your alkalinity.

Paco
10/09/2009, 07:48 AM
Mrs. Wages pickling lime. Do a search for it. You will find threads about how to make your own Kalk. It is pretty balanced stuff so I don't think it will cause a problem with your alkalinity.

If his alk is already fine then he will not be able to significantly raise cal using Kalk. I keep a gallon of Reef Complete for occasional adjustments. Works fine. You probably won't need a whole gallon. Mine's lasted several years because I rarely use it (I use Kalk because system is already balanced).

Frogmanx82
10/09/2009, 02:16 PM
What about calcium chloride used as an ice melt. Is it pure enough?

lordofthereef
10/09/2009, 03:32 PM

I believe I have read that it is not pure enough for use in our tanks. I am sure someone else will chime in soon though :)

Billybeau1
10/09/2009, 09:33 PM

Kalk (limewater) will not significantly raise your calcium level. You need a one or two time correction. I, like Paco, have a gallon jug of Reef Complete and it works just fine for occasional bumps.

I can't put my finger on Randy's article about driveway melt but maybe he'll see this in the am and dig it up for you.

Percula9
10/11/2009, 10:43 AM
I think the driveway melt known as dowflake, has bromine in it. The bromine is not good, especially if your using ozone.