PDA

View Full Version : Dowflake/Pickling Lime

iceman79
10/09/2009, 10:00 AM
Whats the difference between Dowflake and Mrs Wages pickling lime and could i use it in place of the dowflake ? And is dosing a must to keep sps

rezaktp
10/09/2009, 10:31 AM
Mrs. Wages = Kalk = pickling lime = calcium hydroxide

Dowflake = Calcium = calcium chloride

Mrs. wages will maintain cal/alk but will not raise it, also will keep PH up ay 8.3 ish.

Dosing isn't a must but you need to keep your levels up which could be accomplished via waterchanges with a good salt mix. Most likely if you have a good load of SPS you will need to dose.

iceman79
10/09/2009, 10:43 AM
Ok thanks for the straight to the point answers what i was looking for . I only have 2 pieces of sps and there both 1 inch frags and i test my parameters when i do water changes and my calcium and alk are always were they should be. What kinda of salt do you consider good

David Grigor
10/09/2009, 10:45 AM
Whats the difference between Dowflake and Mrs Wages pickling lime

CA chloride will raise only calcium and chloride leves. You have to use an additional supplement for the ALK.

Kalkwasser will maintain both CA and ALK levels but becuase it is not as concentrated it really shouldn't be used to try to RAISE those levels. ( Although it is possible to raise with using Kalk slurries ).

A two part for a beginner is probably more advisable becuase using Kalkwasser requires much more caution becuase of the high PH associated with it.

And is dosing a must to keep sps

This all depends on what your ALK, CA, and magnesium levels are. While it could be possible to maintain those levels with just water changes it is not very likely or cost effective. For all but the lightest coral stocking, dosing will likely be required.

HighlandReefer
10/09/2009, 03:00 PM
Randy provides more details in these articles:

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

iceman79
10/09/2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks everyone for all the info