PDA

View Full Version : Algaefix Overdose

chris023
10/09/2009, 04:27 PM
OK, so I can chalk this one up as one of the biggest bonehead moves I have ever done with regards to this hobby:wildone:

I have been having a bit of a hair algae problem and decided to try Algaefix Marine. I have heard good things with this product. I certainly realize that I need to eliminate the source of the HA problem, and this is just a temporary fix.

Anyways, so i'm getting ready to start the 'dose every three days' cycle, and for some reason (momentary lapse of reason perhaps), I read the directions as '1ml per gallon', instead of '1ml per 10 gallons'. So I dosed 10 times the suggested amount!!! Ok, so not only did I do this for the first dose, but the second dose three days later, i did again!!! Right after that second dose, I started to realize that I seem to be using quite a bit of this stuff, and only dosed twice.

This all started about a week and a half ago. I have a 150 gallon reef, and I have since done a couple of water changes, and have been skimming a bit wetter. believe it or not, no real ill affects on the inhabitants as a result of this overdose. Some of the LPS has closed up a bit, but that's about it.

I have completely stopped the dosing cycle, and am wondering when you all think I should start it back up again with the proper dosage.

vegaskid11
10/09/2009, 04:57 PM
WHat did it do to your algae?

Reefer Steve
10/09/2009, 05:03 PM
Yes please share

chris023
10/09/2009, 05:17 PM
WHat did it do to your algae?

Well, some parts did seem to loosen up a bit. I had heard that it takes 6-8 doses before you really start to see a difference (die-off). even though I did 10 or so doses all at once, it didn't seem to make a big dent. My glass on the other hand used to need to be cleaned every day. Glass used to have green/brown film build up. Now I have only had to clean it like every 3 days or so, and it is not a green/brown film, more like coraline starting up. But again, the long hair would seem to take more time.

HighlandReefer
10/10/2009, 05:24 AM
I would be hesitant on using AlgaeFix for at least a couple of weeks. It may take that long to see the results of your overdoses.

What kind of coral, any invertebrates or clams in your tank?

A focused close-up picture of your pest would be nice. ;)

chris023
10/10/2009, 12:35 PM
I would be hesitant on using AlgaeFix for at least a couple of weeks. It may take that long to see the results of your overdoses.

What kind of coral, any invertebrates or clams in your tank?

A focused close-up picture of your pest would be nice. ;)

Yeah, i was thinking of starting back this Monday, that would be 2 weeks since initial start. I have a mixed reef, SPS, LPS, Softies, snails, crabs, star fish, and about 20 fish (no clams).

HighlandReefer
10/10/2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the input. It's good to hear that you did not experience any mortality from the overdoses. ;)

chris023
10/10/2009, 12:49 PM
Added some pics of the HA.

HighlandReefer
10/10/2009, 12:56 PM
I can't tell from the pictures what your algae is. It could be Derbesia, which is not controlled well by AlgaeFix IME. AF does not control any of the siphoning algae very well.

Derbesia sp:

http://www.reefland.com/rho/0905/images/derbesia.jpg

chris023
10/10/2009, 01:06 PM
I can't tell from the pictures what your algae is. It could be Derbesia, which is not controlled well by AlgaeFix IME. AF does not control any of the siphoning algae very well.

Derbesia sp:

http://www.reefland.com/rho/0905/images/derbesia.jpg

alternatives to AF that does handle Derbesia?

HighlandReefer
10/10/2009, 01:27 PM
Does your algae resemble the picture I provided?

There are fish and snails that will eat Derbesia. They seem to like to eat it when kept low. Once it gets taller they seem to avoid it. Keeping your phosphate low will help. The higher wavelength bulbs like 20,000 K seem to reduce its growth, especially when total wattage is reduced. FWIW, the Derbesia in my tank is under control, but it requires weekly maintenance to keep it from getting out of hand. I have used AlageFix on my Derbesia for extended periods of time and did not achieve control.

I have contemplated using Tech M magnesium supplement to increase my mag. level up to 1600 to see if this might work. Hobbyists' have reported control of Bryopsis doing this. Bryopsis is another siphoning algae. ;)

chris023
10/10/2009, 01:34 PM
Does your algae resemble the picture I provided?

There are fish and snails that will eat Derbesia. They seem to like to eat it when kept low. Once it gets taller they seem to avoid it. Keeping your phosphate low will help. The higher wavelength bulbs like 20,000 K seem to reduce its growth, especially when total wattage is reduced. FWIW, the Derbesia in my tank is under control, but it requires weekly maintenance to keep it from getting out of hand. I have used AlageFix on my Derbesia for extended periods of time and did not achieve control.

I have contemplated using Tech M magnesium supplement to increase my mag. level up to 1600 to see if this might work. Hobbyists' have reported control of Bryopsis doing this. Bryopsis is another siphoning algae. ;)

My HA kind of resembles what is in your picture, however, mine is much much darker in color and seems more soft or velvety like, very tight strands (hard to describe). I will try to get a better picture.

hilgert
10/16/2009, 11:13 PM
Will AlgaeFix Marine harm macro algea like chaetomorpha? I used that in my tank I just took down (moving to another house in 3 weeks) for nutrient export; in the past several months I had a ton of hair algea, but since I knew I was moving I let the tank go. In the new house I want to avoid *ever* getting hair algea, but I also have been very successful with using chaetomorpha for nutrient export and do not want to jeapardize that.

HighlandReefer
10/17/2009, 08:52 AM
IME, AlgaeFix will start to kill cheato if dosed for longer than 10 doses or so.