PDA

View Full Version : Clam Question

fullmonti
10/09/2009, 05:19 PM
I got a 3-4" Crocea Ultra at LFS 2-3 months ago. It had blue/purple base color with beautiful
iridescent shades of blues & greens. It was in a LPS coral tank with 1 400w MH about 2' above a 4x4' tank, not very bright (I thought not bight enough). It is now in my 180 sps 2' deep tank on sand bed, with 1050watts MH.

It has lost almost all of the iridescent colors & is over all darker blue/purple. The question is why? To much, not enough light, or flow? I feed zeo sponge power daily, i've been told clams like this as well.

Phyxius
10/09/2009, 05:25 PM
Crocea clams really should be up in the rock work so they can plant their foot in the rock. My Crocea is in a 210g tank and is about in the top 1/2 of the tank under 3x 250 watt MH and 2 -110 watt VHOs and its doing great. It was about in the same placement in my old tank when I got it at 2" or so and its triple that size now.
Water quality will play a big role in their health also.........

fullmonti
10/09/2009, 06:42 PM
I actually have him on a smallish cradle shaped rock he has attached him self to. So it sounds like my light is about right? He's in a sps tank that the corals are growing well in.
Is this the kind of water quality a clam should like. It's my first clam so I don't know, do they like more nutrients in the water than sps?