PDA

View Full Version : Need help selecting a new kit

TitanTV
10/09/2009, 08:30 PM
I did a search and read through about 4 pages but didn't find the exact topic. I need an ammonia test kit thats easy to read. I have excellent eye sight but honestly I cannot tell what the color is. The chart goes from light tan=0 to a light green..then another light green. I know the dark colors are really bad. When I do the test its light in color (A good thing) If I hold it next to the tan it looks like it which would =0.. But then it also looks like the light greens if I hold it next to them.. My Nitrite test is easy to read and my tank is 0 and Nitrate is easy to read and tank is 5ppm.

Anyone know an ammonia test kit that is very good and easy to read?

My tank has 1 trigger in it.

I am going to go test some distilled water right now and see if I can read the color (Test is for saltwater so it might not work but will try)

Thanks for any advice.

Billybeau1
10/09/2009, 10:23 PM
The problem with most ammonia test kits is if you test ro/di water and it comes clear, then you test your tank and it is cloudy, one thinks they have ammonia present. Not necessarily so.

Magnesium precipitates in the test vial and usually causes the cloudiness you see. If the cloudiness in white or gray, usually ammonia is zero.

What brand are you using ?

lordofthereef
10/10/2009, 01:28 AM
I have had good luck with API and salifert.

TitanTV
10/10/2009, 05:58 AM
I am using API.

I really like how the Nitrite test kits the colors are very different and the Nitrates are not to hard to cleary tell your levels. But, yes its cloudy in color and hard to tell if I have ammonia or not. I guess with zero Nitrite and some Nitrate and I can hope either no or very low ammonia

Billybeau1
10/11/2009, 06:52 PM
Usually if you have no nitrites, you have no ammonia. :D

iFisch
10/11/2009, 09:11 PM
Usually if you have no nitrites, you have no ammonia. :D

Billy - just learned something new today. :)

Why did you use "usually". Can you have 0 nitrites, and have ammonia present? How does one affect the other? Just curious - that's all. :)

atkinsg
10/11/2009, 09:23 PM
Bacteria break down Ammonia to Nitrite then Nitrite to Nitrate.

iFisch
10/11/2009, 09:34 PM
Bacteria break down Ammonia to Nitrite then Nitrite to Nitrate.

:thumbsup:

Billybeau1
10/12/2009, 09:50 AM
I said usually, because, if one does not have enough biological filtration, it is possible to have ammonia and little to no nitrites. If one has the proper amount of biological filtration, ammonia is converted rather quickly to trites then to trates. :)

iFisch
10/12/2009, 02:37 PM
I said usually, because, if one does not have enough biological filtration, it is possible to have ammonia and little to no nitrites. If one has the proper amount of biological filtration, ammonia is converted rather quickly to trites then to trates. :)

Thank's for clearing that up for me. :) I appreciate it. :bounce3: