PDA

View Full Version : New ORP probe reading 000 after 24 hours

law086
10/10/2009, 07:54 AM
I know that ORP probes take a few days to settle down, but I've had a new probe hooked up to my ACIII now for 24 hours and I still have a reading of zero and that doesn't sound right.

One thing I did do was start a calibration before I realized what materials I needed for it, so I hope that didn't mess something up.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

kenargo
10/10/2009, 12:01 PM
If the calibration took (rather than read calibration failed then it could cause what you see). At this point you might need to calibrate the probe or perform an Init All from the menu (which will clear all calibration values). If it reads 000 after init all it is either a bad probe or the probe port is disabled or the probe port is set to PH.

As you mention you calibrated using incorrect procedures by bet is on the calibration being at fault; you almost never see ORP probes that are bad.

law086
10/13/2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the info. I ended up doing an "Init All" and that seemed to get the probe going again. It's been over 24 hours now again since I did that and I'm reading an ORP of 337, which I'm having a hard time believing since I'm not running Ozone yet. Any ideas of what could be wrong now?

kenargo
10/13/2009, 04:27 PM
It takes 4-5 days before the probe reads accurately and if your using the probe to control ozone then you might want to calibrate it.

law086
10/13/2009, 05:27 PM
I'm thinking I'd like to calibrate it, but I'm not sure where to get Quinhydrone from. I've read that some people use something that Marine Depot sells. Is this something like this:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Octopus_pH_ORP_Calibration_Kit_Calibration_Solution_for_Testing_Equipment-Aquadyne-OP3211-FITECL-vi.html

what I want? The price is rather heafty just to calibrate my probe. Can you recommend some other way? I noticed pinpoint sell a calibration fluid, but I'm guessing that won't work for the ACIII.

Thanks!

kenargo
10/13/2009, 06:37 PM
I'm thinking I'd like to calibrate it, but I'm not sure where to get Quinhydrone from. I've read that some people use something that Marine Depot sells. Is this something like this:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Octopus_pH_ORP_Calibration_Kit_Calibration_Solution_for_Testing_Equipment-Aquadyne-OP3211-FITECL-vi.html

what I want? The price is rather heafty just to calibrate my probe. Can you recommend some other way? I noticed pinpoint sell a calibration fluid, but I'm guessing that won't work for the ACIII.

Thanks!

The kit you linked to is what I use, the other solution you are referring to, if I am thinking of the same one will not work.