PDA

View Full Version : Time to shut off calcium reactor?

tufacody
10/10/2009, 01:51 PM
I've struggled keeping PH above 8.1, and dropped to 7.8 last night, so decided to do some testing. System is about 400 gallons, I use a clacium reactor and I top off with kalk, although I have not been very careful with measuring the kalk powder. I just mix it in a brute until I get a milky color.

I keep the tank at 35 ppp, and these are my readings:

mag: 1275 ppm
KH: 8dkh
calcium: 550! (API, tested twice)

ph at testing 8.05

My system is mostly LPS and softy and a clam. It appears that the tank is not using all the calcium I am putting in. Although the health of everything is great, I'm wondering what others think about the high calcium, and whether it is contributing to a lower PH? Should I just take the calcium reactor offline, or use much less kalk powder?

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/10/2009, 02:07 PM
What salt mix are you using? Some drive the calcium that high.

tufacody
10/10/2009, 02:27 PM
Reef Crystals is the only brand I have ever used. System up 2 years.

tufacody
10/10/2009, 07:59 PM
Can someone respond as to whether high Ca can lead to lower PH? thanks

luther1200
10/10/2009, 08:11 PM
I don't think so. Usually excess CO2 in the air is the cause, but not always. Do you have that room or the house closed up lately? It could be something else though.

arinova8
10/10/2009, 09:46 PM
i use reef crystals and never had any issues with cal levels

tmz
10/10/2009, 10:28 PM
The high calcium will not drive low ph. It may make it harder to keep alkalinity levels where you want them but not at 550ppm in my experience. CO2( and the carbonic acid it forms) is the most likely suspect. The calcium reactor contributes low ph effluent and CO2. Without a balanced amount of kalk to use it up , your ph will go down.You could either increase the amount of kalk you are using assuming you are not at full saturation , reduce the calcium reactor output or a combination of both .