PDA

View Full Version : ESV Seawater system

animan
10/10/2009, 05:37 PM
Any thoughts on the upcoming ESV Seawater system?
http://www.esvco.com/B-IonicSeawater.pdf

Seems to consist of 2 liquid parts and a powder.
It would seem that once mixed, measured and tweaked.. a highly repeatable weekly water change mix could be obtained fairly quickly by adding the right amounts of each part.

I dont quite understand the need/usefulness of the dry powder component though.

luther1200
10/10/2009, 05:58 PM
So what is it, is it an ASW mix, with the ability to tweak the Ca/Alk/Mg levels?

So I googled it, and it appears to be a 4 part ASW mix of some sort. Similar to balling method it said. Seems interesting.

HighlandReefer
10/10/2009, 06:03 PM
It will be interesting to see if they publish the amounts of the minor supplements (heavy metals) in their salt mix. I would think if the amounts of the minor supplements are indeed more like that found in natural seawater, they would want to publish this information. After all, it is the minor supplements which are too high in all other salt mixes. Other than this possibility, it would be just another salt mix, where the differences are in the major supplements (alk, calcium and magnesium). ;)

animan
10/10/2009, 06:06 PM
So what is it, is it an ASW mix, with the ability to tweak the Ca/Alk/Mg levels?

So I googled it, and it appears to be a 4 part ASW mix of some sort. Similar to balling method it said. Seems interesting.

It is a "liquid salt mix" designed to overcome the inconsistencies of the traditional salt mixes. :)

HighlandReefer
10/10/2009, 06:27 PM
FWIW, I have used good old, cheap Instant Ocean for a long time and have not found any major inconsistencies in their salt mix. It would take more than the "inconsistency" line of advertising to make me change, especially if it costs more. :D

animan
10/10/2009, 06:39 PM
I can bet that sure it will cost more.... :)

Do you seriously get the same mix every time with Instant Ocean?
I have not used IO in a long time, currently use Tunze brand, I find that even salinity is not consistent, since I have to add more or less salt every time I mix for my nano tank.

iFisch
10/10/2009, 06:45 PM
FWIW, I have used good old, cheap Instant Ocean for a long time and have not found any major inconsistencies in their salt mix. It would take more than the "inconsistency" line of advertising to make me change, especially if it costs more. :D

Cliff, just curious, what WOULD make you change to something else?

We saw what BW's salt actually is, compared to the "claimed" numbers. I think companies may do this to "hype" up the salt. After testing, the actual numbers where no where near NSW, that BW "claimed".

I'm finding it harder to believe a company can "claim" guaranteed results in a salt mix. Hopefully they can prove me wrong.

luther1200
10/10/2009, 08:14 PM
I think you basically mix it up yourself, so it would have to be consitant since you were the 1 doing the mixing. That is if you are acurate;).

Boomer
10/11/2009, 01:11 PM
Yes it is similar to the "balling method" also called the "Non-NaCl mtheod ", only Bod is also supplying high grade NaCl. Bob Stark is nothing like the likes of Chris from BWA or others but a chemist and the inventor of the 2 part system, namely B-Ionic, that everybody and their brother has been copying for years. It is a dry component and liquid sup mix where you blend it making your AWS mix. I have no doubt if done correctly you will be where Bob's states. I know Bob and spent some time with him at MACNA. The only issue here is DO YOU want to make your own mix ?

animan
10/11/2009, 03:54 PM
I think you basically mix it up yourself, so it would have to be consitant since you were the 1 doing the mixing. That is if you are acurate;).

Luther,
It is the settling of different components in a bag/bucket that lead to inconsistent mixes... is what I am talking about.

Boomer,
Thanks for the additional info. I was pretty excited when I heard about it. So I take it there are two components… liquid and dry, not three. The liquid part should be fairly consistent in a batch, hopefully dry part is consistent as well. I would definitely be willing to give this a try.

catman78
10/12/2009, 03:34 AM
I agree luther1200.
In small batches, the less room for measuring inconsistency.
I'd like to see instructions.

I'm local to ESV and in need of salt by then. I may give it a shot depending on $$$.

homeboyreefer
10/12/2009, 04:55 AM
i'm going to have to agree with boomer here about ESV, i've used every additive, product, many salts etc, the greatest and simplest product that i have used and works in all its designed simplicity is b-ionic 2 part, and in no way do i think you should compare ESV to Brightwells

iFisch
10/12/2009, 05:07 AM
and in no way do i think you should compare esv to brightwells

esv > bw ?

luther1200
10/13/2009, 03:59 PM
Does anybody know when this will be hitting the market?

NyReefNoob
10/13/2009, 05:18 PM
it's suppose to come out in november, and hopefully i will be getting some of the first salt to run test on in my system, bob and his brother are wonderful guys to talk with and know their stuff, they are actually local to me

luther1200
10/13/2009, 05:22 PM
Cool, are you going to post your results?

tatuvaaj
10/13/2009, 09:54 PM
I love companies that are able to innovate instead of just slapping new labels to bulk chemicals :thumbsup:

The only concern I have about this new product is the stability of the liquid components. Many minor elements are known to precipitate and because so little is needed for NSW levels the precipitation might go unnoticed even in a very concentrated solution. But I'm sure ESV has thought about that :D

ksed
10/14/2009, 08:19 AM
This looks quite interesting.
I think shipping cost might be huge due to the liquid portion adding more weight.

Kevin