PDA

View Full Version : Euro-Reef pump problem

saltydog1
10/10/2009, 06:02 PM
Hey fellow reefers,

I've got an SP2 pump that came with my CS6-1 that is 5-6 years old. Lately, the pump will just stop pumping. Not just quit pulling in air, but not pulling water. The pump is clean (vinegar bath not long ago) and has a new needle impeller. I have taken it apart and find nothing wrong.

Anyone else ever have this problem? I'm thinking the pump may be going. :(

Thanks.

Reefugee
10/10/2009, 06:26 PM
Yes. You may want to replace the impeller assembly. You shouldn't have to replace the whole pump.

chadfarmer
10/10/2009, 06:28 PM
i would see if anyone local has the same pump and you could diagnois the problem

saltydog1
10/10/2009, 06:58 PM
Yes. You may want to replace the impeller assembly. You shouldn't have to replace the whole pump.

It has a new impeller assembly.

saltydog1
10/10/2009, 07:54 PM
Can the pump itself (not the impeller assembly) go bad?
I wonder if you could diagnose with a multi-meter, as in resistance of the pump?

saltydog1
10/11/2009, 12:31 PM
bump

E.intheC
10/11/2009, 02:20 PM
I had this problem on my sedra (same company as yours) 2 different times. The first was the pinwheel.. it was old, swelled, and ended up being too large for the shaft so it wouldn't spin. The second was a bit different. (On a different sedra pump). The pump lid (can't think of a better word for it) wasn't staying connected b/c the plastic pieces were broken off, and this was causing the impeller assembly to orient itself crooked, so it wouldn't turn. I bought the pump used and didn't know they were broken... I used some zip ties to hold the pump together. It's not the prettiest solution but it worked.

Stanley-Reefer
10/11/2009, 03:06 PM
5-6 years tells me you got your money's worth.....time for a new one...

saltydog1
10/11/2009, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I have definitely got my money's worth out of it. Thanks, Stanley-Reefer.

E.intheC , thanks for the reply. Next time I pull the pump back out I will give it a better lookover. You gave me something to check that I may have overlooked. ;)