PDA

View Full Version : Are metal halides too strong.......

LovinLife
10/10/2009, 07:09 PM
for a 155 deep tank. This tank is almost a cube....little more long than wide. Right now I am running power compact 780w.....3x dual130w daylights and 3 dual 130w actinics....

The way my canopy is made, I have the PC resting on two slats of wood tacked to the inside of the canopy. Lights are 5 1/2" from the water, bottom of canopy is 10" from the water. Ive already bought two 400w Metal Halide retrofit kits but was wondering if this woul dbe too much light? I know it would only be 20w more than what I have on it, but didnt know if not having the acrylic shield when the MH are in if it would burn anything. Tanks is a mixed reef of sps, lps, softies and such.

Could I do MH and just acclimate everything to the light by cutting the lighting period to say, 4 hours first week, 5 or 6 the next, 7 to 8 the next, then go all out 10 hrs?

I had PC on my 125 long but went to mH and didnt do this and things seemed ok, and this was running 10k bulbs. I do a two day blackout every now and again, so a reduction in length of time lights are on shouldnt hurt, but help......Does this sound reasonable or no?