PDA

View Full Version : Kalkwasser help

kaiserkid
10/10/2009, 11:14 PM
I have begun to dose my tank with Kalkwasser but am unsure of how often to dose it. The only coral I have that will benefit from it is a frogspawn, duncan, montipora, and a clam. Do I just keep testing the water to see where my clacium is?

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/11/2009, 07:10 AM
Track alkalinity to determine the needed dose, not calcium. Dose it every day by dripping, if possible. This has more:

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

reeflover7826
12/18/2009, 07:19 PM
Can you just pour the powder directly into the tank or do you have to mix it with water first? I know I can mix with my ato but scared that my float switch will stick and over dose.

kaiserkid
12/18/2009, 08:05 PM
Mix it with the water first then drip it in...slowly.

corigan
12/18/2009, 08:12 PM
Can you just pour the powder directly into the tank or do you have to mix it with water first? I know I can mix with my ato but scared that my float switch will stick and over dose.This can be a very real problem. I have a few safety measures in place to try to keep this setup safer. I dose kalk through the ATO. I use a Ph Controller to turn off the ATO if it spikes to high in PH. I also don't keep much in the resevoir so even if the controller fails for some oddball reason it won't dump more than a gallon or two in the tank. I also keep the probe upstream from the kalk on the other side of the sump. This doesn't allow much to dump in at a time since the controller turns it off. I also use a small pump on the ATO to limit the rate of which the kalk can be dumped into the tank to give the controller time to sense the spike. Good luck.

rgun2515
12/18/2009, 08:21 PM
DO NOT just dump the power in. Please read the label an the post above.

If nothing less, mix with a gallon of water per table spoon and let sit for a day. Then drip from there.