PDA

View Full Version : Aquaclear Mini HOB fuge

FishFolk
10/11/2009, 12:21 AM
I just turned my aquaclear mini into a nice little HOB fuge for my 15 gal tank. A quick few questions; will the flow rate of the filter be suitable, or is there any way to adjust it, and since my fuge is HOB will it be alright to run a small light over it at night even though the light is right over my aquarium. Lastly, is sand/mud necessary? Thanks for the help guys.

CoRPS
10/11/2009, 09:06 AM
Is the back of your tank painted/covered? If so you can just use a little clip on pointed right at the back of the fuge rather than over it. Would be better set up like that anyway. Don't put sand/mud in there as it's not big enough and really wouldn't make a difference, all it'd do is collect detritus.

FishFolk
10/11/2009, 10:08 AM
It isn't painted or covered, but I'm sure i could slide some black paper between the fuge and tank.

CoRPS
10/11/2009, 10:12 AM
Nah....

If you're going to put something, get the plastic black stuff they sell at most fish stores. The paper will get ruined very quickly.

tat2shawn
10/11/2009, 12:19 PM
Hey, FishFolk
I would like to see some pics of what you have done. Did you do any mods to it?

FishFolk
10/11/2009, 04:56 PM
Nope, all i did was run it and put the Chaeto in the "box" area. i put eggcrate over top so that it is kept from flowing into the tank.

CoRPS
10/11/2009, 06:05 PM
Be sure to clean out the chaeto every week when you do your water change.

What to do:
1- Pull out old water
2- Pull out chaeto and slosh around in old water
3- Fill tank back up

A problem people are having with their fuges now is that they're collecting a bunch of detritus. If your goal is nutrient exportation then this detritus will be counterproductive. If your goal is pod population, it won't be done in a HOB filter.

FishFolk
10/12/2009, 08:59 AM
Well my goal was help with nutrients...Its completely counter productive?

CoRPS
10/12/2009, 09:32 AM
Not at all, just be sure to pull your chaeto out and swish it around in your old WC water to get the gunk out of it. Takes 10 seconds.

FishFolk
10/12/2009, 01:31 PM
Oh okay thanks for the help!