PDA

View Full Version : Nitrates & pH

terri_ann
10/11/2009, 04:48 AM
Will GFO reduce nitrates? My nitrates are 2.5-5.0 and I want to get them lower. I have done weekly water changes for the past 2 months ranging from 30g to 50g in a 135g tank. I have a 4" DSB with aragonite (oolite to 2mm). The tank is 16 months young with 9 small fish, approximately 125lbs rock. No refugium as have no room :-( I have tried chaeto in DT but doesn't grow (lighting: 4-96w true actinic blue,3-150w 10,000K super daylight mh). Fish only now but working toward reef. (I started using GFO 3 weeks ago...high capacity from BRS and was spent in 3 weeks:eek1:!!)

PH is low since doing all the water changes. Par's are: 1.026, KH 10, CA 440, pH running 7.76-7.8 during 12hr photoperiod-down to 7.58 lights out(3-5am), and get ready for this--Mg 1800 with Red Sea test and Elos test I couldn't get the color to change...went only from "black to green"!! Yes, I OD the Mg (it was an accident:wildone:) and ran out of Elos solution when testing only 3 times! :fun2: Instant Ocean salt used and will go with Oceanic with next water change. At a minimum, I want my pH at 8.0 so as not to drop below 7.8 when lights are off. Before all the wc, my pH ran consistently at 8.2-8.3 My CA and Mg was on the low side when the pH ran consistently. Have good CO2 and indoor air quality. PH meter new and calibrated. Not dosing other than CA prn. What can I do? Am I missing something? I have read Randy H-F's articles 'several times' and do not want to create more problems trying to fix pH... ps...I still consider myself a "newbie":confused: Thanks!!;)

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/11/2009, 06:40 AM
No, GFO does not bind nitrate.

Have you tried the aeration experiments in the article on pH?

terri_ann
10/11/2009, 01:47 PM
Are you referring to a high indoor carbon dioxide and opening a window, etc? I had windows open and still had the low pH ( in the 20'sF now so open windows not an option). I also run 2 fans on my hood...I have 2 each Korilia's #3 & 4. I have not tried limewater (unsure how and don't want to create more problems). Other than that Randy, don't know what you are referring to...have I missed the other article(s)?
Thanks!

Almondsaz
10/11/2009, 03:56 PM
Terri: do you have surface turbulence to oxygenate in lieu of the windows open? It helps. Just pointing the powerhead to the surface to get it to incorporate some additional oxygen. I had low PH and opened the windows and acutally added an aeration stone in the sump and it came right up in the course of a day or so. Good luck! I know it can be frustrating.

terri_ann
10/11/2009, 06:24 PM
Yes I have very good surface turbulence from the 2 #3 K's...there are large bubbles popping on the surface. Yes it is frustrating as I've never had a low pH problem in the years of hobby experience. I'll try a small powerhead in the sump...I don't have an airstone...Thanks, hope it works :-)

Anyone else with any ideas?........just in case

kaskiles
10/11/2009, 06:41 PM
... get ready for this--Mg 1800 with Red Sea test and Elos test
and will go with Oceanic with next water change

Oceanic salt is a high magnesium salt, you might want to avoid it until your get your Mag down to around 1300.

Try the aeration test both indoors and outside, and make sure you use a calibrated pH probe and allow the air bubbler to run up to two hours to detect a pH rise.

terri_ann
10/11/2009, 07:34 PM
Can you direct me to the aeration test? I guess I haven't read about that...Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/12/2009, 06:51 AM
Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

from it:

The Aeration Test

Some of the possibilities listed above require some effort to diagnose. Problems 3 and 4 are quite common, and here is a way to distinguish them. Remove a cup of tank water and measure the pH. Then aerate it for an hour with an airstone using outside air. The pH should rise if the pH is unusually low for the measured alkalinity, as in Figure 3 (if it does not rise, most likely one of the measurements (pH or alkalinity) is in error). Then repeat the same experiment on a new cup of water using inside air. If the pH rises there too, then the aquarium pH will rise with more aeration because it is only the aquarium that contains excess carbon dioxide. If the pH does not rise inside (or rises very little), then the inside air contains excess CO2, and more aeration with that same air will not solve the low pH problem (although aeration with fresher air should).

Solutions to pH Problems

terri_ann
10/12/2009, 04:19 PM
I will give it a try asap. I will also be reading the article. I have learned alot from you (through your articles online) and want you to know that the time you put in helping all of us is GREATLY APPRECIATED!! Thank you so much:love1:

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/12/2009, 04:23 PM
You're very welcome.

Good luck. :)