PDA

View Full Version : My tank today (pics)

Juggler
10/11/2009, 09:21 AM
Well it was a big weekend for my tank. I have been dealing with both of my grandmothers being hospitalized. One of which had been in urgent care for 5 months. By some miracle, she is doing much better and i am so happy:)!
But needless to say in this period of time, my aquarium saw the worst of it. I did zero water changes, often forgot to feed the fish, and didn't even turn on the lights. So pleased with the positive turn of events, i skipped class Friday and did an all day thing. I did a 75% water change and redid all the rock work. Caught some of the fish i had gotten bored of, and kept the old timers
who had a place in my heart.

Current fish are:
Blue hippo tang
Orange dot rabbitfish
Gold strip maroon clownfish

System specs:
180 gallon tank
55 sump
2 250 watt 15k xm halides

So i wanted to show how my tank looked before and how it looked this morning. The tank had a little cloudiness. In the words of my father "I'm not a photographer, i just take pictures" I think this applies here ;).
If anyone has some tips for a better FTS, i would be very thankful. I was using a tripod here. And i had to use a flash because it was so dang dark. Camera is a 6mp powershot s3.

Here is the before. Had about 400lbs of rock, i used to like the really busy look, but i wanted a simpler, cleaner look this time.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/Joker4090/Picture906.jpg
Here it is today i like it better.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/Joker4090/FTS-2.jpg
Left side:
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/Joker4090/half1.jpg
Right side:
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/Joker4090/half3.jpg

Please let me know if you like the new look better. I still have tons of rock if you think i should rescape!

Thanks for looking. Im in a great mood :D
-Sam

sean A.
10/11/2009, 09:34 AM
Sorry to hear about your grandparents being in the hospital. As far as the tank goes it looks good.

Juggler
10/11/2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks

Mikeeal
10/11/2009, 11:38 AM
It looks like you have a single piece of pvc for an overflow, how's that working out for you? How much water are you running through it? I have something similiar planned and would love some feedback.

Your scape looks great now!

Juggler
10/11/2009, 11:59 AM
Its been so long since we set that up, i almost forgot how it was done!

The sump was added after the tank was filled! We had two plugs on the bulkhead, cleared the sand off, and fitted the pvc in. Then unplugged the bottom plug and let the water in the pipe go down into the sump.

I believe the hole was 2". But i am not positive. The pipe underneath to the sump tapers down a bit in size. There is a valve for control. It can get VERY noisy in operating sometimes. To fix this, i choke the valve off a bit, and the water doesn't fall down very far into the pipe. Instead, it gathers in the pipe and then drains quietly into the sump. It is currently running silently.

The return is split into two.

The return pump is a mag 9.5, so 950gph runs through the 55 sump.

One note: we had originally made teeth on the pvc for obvious reasons. However this was not letting nearly enough water down to keep up with the return pump so my return compartment kept getting drained. After breaking off every tooth it was able to work. Now i usually wrap some gutter guard around the overflow, but all my fish are too large to go down, so i took it off.

I will go snap a pic. Its not a complex setup, but i haven't had any issues. I will also show how i rigged my skimmer up. It wouldnt fit under the stand so we ninja'd it a little bit.

regina574
10/11/2009, 02:27 PM
LOVE the new aquascaping!

Juggler
10/11/2009, 03:14 PM
LOVE sounds good to me! lol

Juggler
10/11/2009, 04:15 PM
ill just put this question in my own thread.
Would a tusk and volitan lion work together? Also, would a tusk and a red coris get along?

waldomas
10/11/2009, 04:23 PM
Big, BIG improvement with the scape!

Love it!

Juggler
10/11/2009, 05:08 PM
Thanks so much! I used to be really disappointed with my aquascaping, but it seems every time i redo it i get different inspiration! While i hate the process of scaping tanks, i love the product (sometimes) :P

rholguin
10/11/2009, 05:17 PM
The new aquascape is great it looks more open the fish will love the extra swimming space.

Juggler
10/11/2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks! I also like to see all the white sand, its more beach-y. :)

Mikeeal
10/15/2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I had forgotten I posted. Do you have a T-fitting under the tank somewhere for the air that goes down the pipe?

AdamTang
10/15/2009, 10:13 PM
wow looks great! amazed that is the same tank. i did that with my old tank a few times, it's such a good feeling and you usually end up so happy with your work. Recently moved, set new tank up about a month ago, added LR/LS about a week ago, still cycling! can't wait to put the hours into the hobby like i used to :dance:

NexDog
10/16/2009, 08:52 AM
I just want to see pics of that Orange Spot Rabbitfish. :D

(Want one, can't get one, Japan sucks sometimes)

hawkfishman
10/16/2009, 11:03 AM
nice

ccampbell57
10/16/2009, 11:25 AM
The aquascaping looks AWESOME!!! Great job on putting together the bridges...

flameangel88
10/16/2009, 11:48 AM
Love the look of your new rock work.

namxas
10/16/2009, 01:20 PM
i'm liking the new rockwork a lot. as for the tusk and the volitans, they should be fine together.

username in use
10/16/2009, 02:44 PM
1000 percent better.

reeferoo
10/16/2009, 03:44 PM
Agreed- looks really great now. Such potential for bright and colorful fish!

Juggler
10/16/2009, 08:15 PM
I just want to see pics of that Orange Spot Rabbitfish. :D

(Want one, can't get one, Japan sucks sometimes)
I know what you mean, My LFS was gouging on these guys! They wanted $149 for a 4" a few years back. I got mine at about 2" for $50 a while back. He is now about 6" i would say. I will get pics. I would not add any other type of rabbitfish to any of my tanks as long as i live! They are all hideous to me, but i LOVE my orange dot :D

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I have found myself just vegging in front of the tank again, i haven't done that for a long time!

Picked up a 5" tusk the other day. Got him eating mysis. He was a killer deal, and even though he is probably an indo, he could fool you for an aussie! Pics tomorrow i hope :)

robot2222
10/16/2009, 10:26 PM
new aquascape is awesome........, beutifull....... , glamorous........, sweet,...... badass....much improved and i really like it............ glad to hear your grandmother is doing better.

Juggler
10/17/2009, 10:37 AM
Wow LOL! Best compliment yet :D

My friends just dont understand how i can love a pile of rocks, but adults see the beauty.

Juggler
10/17/2009, 05:16 PM
As promised. Some updates!
Sorry for crappy pics, no time today.

New FTS, not much changed lol :)
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/Joker4090/FTSrec.jpg

Orange dot rabbit:
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/Joker4090/rabbit1.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/Joker4090/rabbit2.jpg

Maroon clown: I dont know why she looks tiny here, she is about 5 inches long!
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/Joker4090/maroon.jpg

New Tusk: He is very shy, and this pic does him no justice. He eats well though.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/Joker4090/tusk.jpg

Thanks for looking!
-Sam

LukFox
10/17/2009, 05:25 PM
I agree that it looks WORLDS better! I really have to do something about my aquascape too :lol:. I like changing it up every few months to keep things interesting.

It'll depend on the particular fish if the tusk and coris would get along, but I'd certainly try it. If they look like they dislike for each other after a week I'd stick with only keeping one of them, but your tusk is young so I wouldn't really worry about it too much.

Juggler
10/17/2009, 05:30 PM
Says the guy whose tusk wont tolerate any tankmates! LOL!

I will probably try it out, if i can find a coris that is a good size and doesnt break the bank.

Juggler
10/17/2009, 05:32 PM
By the way, thanks for the compliment. I cant wait to see your tank rescaped. Aquascaping is an art in itself!

LukFox
10/17/2009, 05:50 PM
Says the guy whose tusk wont tolerate any tankmates! LOL!

I will probably try it out, if i can find a coris that is a good size and doesnt break the bank.

Ha! When I add more fish in the future I'll definitely try putting an eggcrate divider in for a few weeks to see how they interact, then carefully observe once it's removed. I've pretty much come to terms that he's not the norm though :).

jimi thing
10/17/2009, 10:04 PM
Looks great man!

popper231
10/18/2009, 09:52 PM
great pix

baldwinaquaman
10/18/2009, 10:42 PM
beautiful, following along, how did you get your arch and such to stay, just by stacking or zip ties or what?

Juggler
10/19/2009, 06:24 AM
no zip ties, i dont think you can get a really natural look with ties unless you have coral to cover the akward rock contact points.

I just kept fiddling around until i found a perfect fit. the arch is made of two rocks. The fit super sturdy!

Thanks everyone for the compliments.
Should have a zebra moray coming in a few weeks!

welsher7
10/19/2009, 07:39 AM
You will love the zebra, they are great eels. where did you order yours from? make sure your rocks in your structure are very secure.

csquier74
10/19/2009, 03:08 PM
Looks great. I think the new arrangement is a vast improvement.

Juggler
10/19/2009, 05:05 PM
It is a special order at my LFS. My rock is fairly secure, its just that i cant predict how he will dig. As long as he digs out at the end of the rock work, it should be fine, but it is somewhat dependent on balance at some areas. He isnt going to be too big to start, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Juggler
12/03/2009, 08:31 PM
Bump!

flameangel88
12/03/2009, 08:37 PM
Bump!

You can't bump your own thread without pictures.

lol

Juggler
12/03/2009, 08:38 PM
Its for someone. Ill get pics soon.

StayPuft
12/03/2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks for bumping it. It's the first time I see this thread, I must have missed it before. I love your rock arrangement. It both looks good and is practical, with lots of caves and tunnels for the fish. Your fish look healthy and happy!

Mental1
12/04/2009, 05:16 AM
I really like your rockwork -- the tonga branches look really cool the way you have them locked into each other. There are many adults who don't understand the passion for the hobby too let alone your friends! Many of my non-hobbyiest friends think I am nutz! Grandmoms are the best -- I still miss mine a lot.

Juggler
12/04/2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks so much for the compliments. I got a really nice zebra eel today. He was shy at the store, but he ate. Will get pics soon i promise!

Juggler
12/04/2009, 07:39 PM
Teaser before i take real pics.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h125/Joker4090/IMG_5683.jpg

evilspaz
12/04/2009, 07:44 PM
He looks really nice!:thumbsup:

Juggler
12/04/2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks! He already dug up the sand real good. But the rock is in tact. I see 2 caves going, and he is looking out to the front of the tank. As long as the eel has his head out of the rock, i dont mind having a shy fish.

kirkaz
12/04/2009, 09:39 PM
Looking great...I love the Rabbit, don't see the Orange Dot that often, good choice...How's he doing?

Juggler
12/04/2009, 11:13 PM
Yeah, orange dots are the only rabbit i like. They don't have a goofy mouth or anything lol. He is doing well. Very defensive fish. Doesn't harass newcomers, but he isn't taking crap from anyone either. I would suggest this fish to anyone. They are hard to come by, but not so expensive in these parts.

kirkaz
12/05/2009, 08:32 AM
Yeah, orange dots are the only rabbit i like. They don't have a goofy mouth or anything lol. He is doing well. Very defensive fish. Doesn't harass newcomers, but he isn't taking crap from anyone either. I would suggest this fish to anyone. They are hard to come by, but not so expensive in these parts.

I'm not much of fan of Rabbits/Foxface either, but yours has the Orange Dot certainly on my radar for a future fish now....Blue Zoo seems to have them in stock quite often and not too expensive, glad he is doing well.

Juggler
12/05/2009, 09:03 AM
Yeah, they all seem to grow up the same in terms of quality, so i wouldn't think ordering one without seeing first would have a high risk of disappointment. Seeing him when he goes camo with the rock is amazing!