PDA

View Full Version : help whats going on with my frogspawn???

sweet d
10/11/2009, 07:14 PM
he was happy and wide open everyday for a couple of months like thishttp://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=219&pictureid=1116
then he started splitting one of his heads, ok i was not worried but then he started loosing color and not openingnow he looks like this http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=219&pictureid=1118
now while he opens up everyday he also looks like hes pooping alothttp://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=219&pictureid=1117
by the way he looks like hes splitting the other head now also,so any help or advice woukld be very appreciated thanks.

acrodave
10/11/2009, 07:37 PM
what are your parameters.. that looks like a very bad case of bleaching.. the (poop) is it releasing zooaxenthella

sweet d
10/11/2009, 07:40 PM
parameters are all normal sg-1.024,ph 8.2,amm-o,nitrates are around 10 alk around 9. what is zooaxenthella?

acrodave
10/11/2009, 07:50 PM
ok not to be rude but if you are getting into croals you need to get a book or more searching online.. so this one is for free zooaxenthella are the symbiotic algae that live in about 99% of the stony corals they give them there color and the most important thing that they do is feed the corals byproducts of photoscises. when corals get stressed out they bleach (letting the zooaxenthella out) shocking them with light will also do this ... what test kits are you using and what kind of lights over how big of a tank... i hope this helps out some...i hope others will chime in ti help also

codyjp
10/11/2009, 07:53 PM
I bought a coral that looked like your second one and fixed it up to look like the first so this can be fixed. as stated, lights, and temps will help.

sweet d
10/11/2009, 07:57 PM
temp is 79 and stock pc lighting in a biocube 29 gallon oh and sorry for askin a question dave i didnt know it wasnt allowed in forums?

acrodave
10/11/2009, 07:59 PM
ok after reading what i said im sorry. i did not mean by any why to sound rude. but in this hobby research goes a long way corals are animals so its like going out and buying a great dane and only have a onebed room apt. with no yard....like cody said it can be fixed...what are your temps

stingythingy45
10/11/2009, 08:11 PM
Hey sweetd,

What type of light do you have.....wattage...ect?
Where is the coral placed height wise in your tanks?

stingythingy45
10/11/2009, 08:14 PM
"corals are animals so its like going out and buying a great dane and only have a onebed room apt. with no yard"

BTW acrodave,I disagree.....
This is far from rocket science.

brad burditt
10/11/2009, 08:16 PM
whats the date on the test kit is it old

acrodave
10/11/2009, 08:19 PM
well its just my opinion and nutting more than that but i think if you are keeping corals you shoud know what zooaxenthella are. every book i have seen even the worst ones talk about zooaxenthella... you cant help some one if they have no idea what your talking about

stingythingy45
10/11/2009, 08:22 PM
I'm guessing.....and that's just guessing here.
But,it looks like you might have it too high and under too powerful of lights.
An alk reading of 9 dkh is fine.
I've currently had a frogspawn for a couple years now.It has multiplied and fragged many times.It has never been moved from the sand bed.That was in a 55 gallon with PC's,then to a 90 with PC's for a few months.Now it's in a 90gallon under halides.
But it's low and somewhat shaded by a large monticap.

stingythingy45
10/11/2009, 08:25 PM
well its just my opinion and nutting more than that but i think if you are keeping corals you shoud know what zooaxenthella are. every book i have seen even the worst ones talk about zooaxenthella... you cant help some one if they have no idea what your talking about

I do agree that books are the way too info in this hobby.
And it's a great idea to have a grasp on some of the terminology used.
Personally,I never mention zooanthellae.As I can seldom spell it.:p

acrodave
10/11/2009, 08:30 PM
I do agree that books are the way too info in this hobby.
And it's a great idea to have a grasp on some of the terminology used.
Personally,I never mention zooanthellae.As I can seldom spell it.:p

i had to spell check it:D.. now lets get back to fixing the coral problem

stingythingy45
10/11/2009, 08:36 PM
i had to spell check it:D.. now lets get back to fixing the coral problem

I lost that ability when my computer crashed a few weeks ago.:p

Anyways,not much from the original poster.
I've never had one bleach like that.So I still going to stick with too close or too intense lighting.As I've had some big alk swings...ect.
But that just wiped out a birds nest and a few other sps.
Never seemed to effect the F.S.
Anyways,it's 10:30 here East coast,and work tomorrow.
So cheers,and good luck with the coral.

180+55reef
10/12/2009, 09:29 AM
Thought it might be from the lack of light?

scapes
10/12/2009, 07:02 PM
may be it's b/c you have stock pc bulbs??? get some better bulbs to start w/. it is salvageable, but in need of some nurturing. feed it if you can and upgrade your lighting

sweet d
10/13/2009, 06:49 PM
i have the frogspawn on the bottom of the tank.so i doubt its bleached due to to much light,i think just the opposite and im looking into this has a good excuse to upgrade my lights:)

scapes
10/13/2009, 08:06 PM
yes, definately time for an upgrade :bounce3:

180+55reef
10/14/2009, 04:21 AM
maybe lack of light

sweet d
10/14/2009, 06:44 PM
is it normal for the frogspawn to continue to split even though it is bleached and unhappy?ive noticed a bubble like its splittin again

Octopus8
10/14/2009, 07:29 PM
My Frogspawn and Torch corals all grow like weeds under 80 watts of PC lighting in my 24 gallon Aquapod. No bleaching or other problems.

droberts
10/15/2009, 09:49 PM
i have lots of frogspawn under my vho's and they love it. they sit on the rocks half way up in the tank. and only one will grow baby's so far. any how how long do you run your lights? and what is the calcium level? and I'm sure you could take a water sample to your lfs and have them test it so you can compare results.