PDA

View Full Version : Carbon dosing and ALK ???

Reefun
10/11/2009, 08:07 PM
People who are dosing vodka seem to keep their alk at 7-8 I know it is not good to run it higher. And I've read it can burn coral but I don't understand why. If someone could please explain this I would really appreciate it.

Reefun
10/12/2009, 05:17 PM
I know this has been explained before. Probable many times but I cant find where. If some one could give me a link or a quick run down on what exactly happens when alk gets high in a low nutrient system. I really would appreciate it.

The reason I ask is I'm headed that direction and would like all the info I can before I get there. I'm one of those people that has to know how things work not just that they do.

bertoni
10/12/2009, 05:54 PM
There are various theories about higher alkalinity levels causing problems in tanks with very low nutrient loads, but I don't know of any strong conclusions or even any data.

Reefun
10/12/2009, 06:25 PM
so is it something that is just a theory or is it a fact. As in if you have a low nutrient system and you move your alk over 8 you will have problems with your coral. I really want to do the carbon dosing thing but I like to run my alk around 10. I can live with a lower alk lever if I know why I'm running it that way.

bertoni
10/12/2009, 06:34 PM
I don't know how consistently people report problems with alkalinity at 10 dKH when dosing a carbon source. It's possible that many people run that high without problems.