PDA

View Full Version : I'm a little worried about my trigger-advice please

fender4string
10/11/2009, 08:53 PM
I just finished a tank move and decided it would be a good time to introduce a couple new fish while my picasso trigger was in QT. He's only been in QT for 2 weeks-it's a 20 gallon with good filtration and more than adequate flow. The water conditions are good. He is about 3.5 inches.

The QT has a conch shell, a piece of PVC in it, a HOB filter rated for 30 gallons, and two powerheads (about 600 gph total).

What worries me is he barely ever comes out of his conch shell (it's where he sleeps and hides when he's scared). When he does come out he doesn't leave the opening of the conch unless he's eating. Also, he has had his stress colors for the entire two weeks and I've only ever seen him darken up for a few seconds on about two occasions. He only comes out when I feed him.

I wanted to wait until this Friday to put him back into the display (Friday is when I get my last new fish, a flame angel, and I wanted it to get a chance to be in the tank before my trigger) but I'm really starting to worry about him. Is the way he is acting a really bad sign? What should I do?

dave90ztt
10/12/2009, 06:06 AM
i would try turning your powerheads off for a couple hours just to see if he becomes a little more active. a 3.5" picasso is pretty cramped in a 20 gal tank just my opinion.

barbianj
10/12/2009, 07:40 AM
It doesn't sound like he is unhealthy, he is just not acting the way you want or expect him to.

It's not uncommon for fish to act that way by themselves in QT. He's a trigger, he'll be just fine when you put him in the DT

bheld
10/12/2009, 05:49 PM
i would try turning your powerheads off for a couple hours just to see if he becomes a little more active. a 3.5" picasso is pretty cramped in a 20 gal tank just my opinion.

Yea...he probably should have set up a 150 gal QT tanks for a temporary 2 week move...shame on you fender4string :)

reefergeorge
10/12/2009, 06:02 PM
If he comes out to eat, I would say he is fine.

Do you know what your ammonia levels are?
A larger trigger in a 20 will build up waste fast. When I had my trigger in QT, I was doing 5 gallon wcs a day for two week. Plus adding prime. It was a 29.

fender4string
10/12/2009, 06:04 PM
Dave-thanks for the advice. I appreciate the intention but I'm not sure I agree. I feel like turning off the powerheads would only create a more stressful environment when the one he is in is already uncomfortable enough. As for the size issue, it's only a QT and he'll be out in a few more days so don't worry too much about him in the regard! Again, I appreciate you going out of your way to reply to me-thanks.

Barbianj-So you think it's no biggie? That makes me feel better. When he came out today he attacked the pellets like he was pi$$ed at them :). I knew trigs were tough but I wasn't sure what signs (other then blatant disease) were bad enough to cause worry. My foxface was freaking out in QT as well but as soon as he was put back in the DT he calmed right down to his only slightly freaked out self :). I imagine this will be a similar scenario based on your advice.

bheld-:)

fender4string
10/12/2009, 06:09 PM
He's just a little guy reefergeorge (3.5") and I've been keeping up with WC's. To be honest I haven't checked ammonia levels but up until two days ago there was established live rock in the tank that was placed in the tank several days prior and only spent about 30 minutes out of the water during transport. Not best practice I know but with all of the filtration and water changes (plus light feeding) I'm confident the levels were/are good.

Currently in the tank is his conch shell too which is helping with filtration. It's pretty porous and has a nice light film of green hair algae which is probably also helping a little in nitrate reduction.

reefergeorge
10/16/2009, 05:52 PM
Any update?