PDA

View Full Version : Pros/Cons of Kalkwasser vs 2 part

BigAirHarper
10/11/2009, 09:28 PM
I am looking to begin dosing my aquarium and I was wondering if someone could lay down the pros and cons of using kalk in an ATO or doing a 2 part dosing solution from say BRS. I have a 120G mixed reef with a moderate amount of coral. Any input would be great. Thanks.

sjm817
10/11/2009, 09:44 PM
Here is a start:
How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm

I use both Kalk topoff and 2 part dosing. Kalk topoff alone cant keep up with my tanks demands so I need to use both.

IMO, kalk ATO is the place to start. If you have an ATO, you dont need anything else but the lime. Its easy and inexpensive. If the tank grows beyond kalk for the needs, then you can revise the plan.

Lps157
10/11/2009, 10:03 PM
Don't want to hijack your thread but had a few questions as well.

SJM...how likely is it to overdose with Kalkwasser? My current Ca demand is low and stays stable with every other week WC's but I would like to add additional sps and would like to top off with a kalk doser but am afraid of it raising my ph to much and raising my Ca to high as well. Ca stays around 480, DKH at 8.0 and PH 8.3 in day and 8.1 at night. I have a ACIII and would like to have it set to dose Kalk as needed, but idk how this would be done unless you have to ATO's.

Thanks for any input

cardiffgiant
10/12/2009, 08:19 AM
The generally accepted technique that I have seen others using is to add no more than 2 tsps of kalk powder per gallon of ATO water.

In your case, I wouldn't begin using kalk until you have added the sps and have measured their consumption ;)

Once you have determined htat your new corals are depleting Ca and Alk faster than water changes can replenish, you could start slowly with a more diluted kalk mix in the ATO until you see the levels remaining stable.

Just remember that you don't want to use kalkwasser to raise Ca, because it will raise ph.

tmz
10/12/2009, 11:37 AM
The advantages of kalk (calcium hydroxide)vs two part include: no chlorides( as you get with calcum chloride), kalk gives gives calcium and alkalinity in balanced proportions.It is self purifying since it precipitates out impurities, It may precipitate some inorganic phosphate as well.It is inexpensive if food or lab grade lime is used in lieu ofcommercial products.

But you can't use it to adjust the balance between calcium and alkalinity as it adds both.

It raises ph as the hydroxide uses CO2 in the tank to create carbonate and bicarbonoate alkalinity. Some inclucing me see this as a plus. If you dose no more than 1/4 tsp total powder per 50 gallons in any given hour ph spikes should not be a concern. However, since the amount you can dose at one time is limited and only 2tsps per gallon of fresh water will remain dissolved,kalk may require supplementation with two part or calcium carbonate ( via calcium reactor) in some cases to meet high demands for calcium and alkalinity. In my system with lot's of sps kalk is holding levels quite well at 11.8 alk and 550ppm Calclium with 1400ppm magnesium and ph of 8.21 to 8.34). I wan't my alkalinity to be a bit lower so I have jus t cut back to 1.3 tsps per gallon instead of 2. I use a high calcium/magnesium salt ( Coralife) though. I have not used my calcium reactor in months.

Your salt mix and frequency of water changes plays heavily in the maintenance of calcium alkalinity and magnesium as well as minor and trace elements. Some salts are higher in calcium, alkalinity and/or magnesium than others.

Strating off with kalk , I would use about a half a tsp per gallon of top off water and work up from there if the tank demands more.

acrylic_300
10/12/2009, 12:34 PM
I think the only disadvantage of Kalk is that once your tank starts kicking, it's not enough to keep up with demand.

Toadally
10/12/2009, 09:18 PM
I have found that kalk cannot keep up with the demand of my tank....so I have started using 2 part. I still dose kalk along with 2 part as it helps to keep my ph up.

cardiffgiant
10/13/2009, 01:41 PM
I have found that kalk cannot keep up with the demand of my tank....so I have started using 2 part. I still dose kalk along with 2 part as it helps to keep my ph up.

Same here. Plus, I like that some of my tanks supplementation is happening gradually with my ATO, as opposed to all of it happening at once when I add 2 part.

9501gle
10/13/2009, 03:15 PM
I've best way I've found is to set up a good float valve in the sump and hook it to a kalk reactor using gravity fed RO/DI water for all top off. If set up correctly this should take care af your tanks needs until its stocked fairly heavily. Some people like to add kalk during the dark period but I've found this method to keep my ph at 8.1 during dark to 8.35 with lights on. I use coralife salt, my cal holds steady at 460 and alk 7-8. My favorite part of this setup is every 2 months I clean the reactor and refill with powder, thats it.

bertoni
10/13/2009, 05:08 PM
I don't trust float valves at all, and went with a redundant float switch setup to dose kalk. The peristaltic pumps give a slow stream of drops, which is ideal.

tmz
10/14/2009, 09:43 AM
I dose from a still reservoir( brute can) via a peristaltic pump.

kendo
10/20/2009, 07:59 AM
bertoni, and tmz ,which pump do you use, is it like drews doseing pump at BRS?

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/20/2009, 08:03 AM
I dose from a 132-gallon still reservoir (3 connected Brute trash cans) using a Reef Filler pump. Actually, I use 2 of them in case anything goes wrong with one when I'm on vacation (like a GFCI trip, a clog, etc.).

kendo
10/20/2009, 08:06 AM
is the reef filler pump a peristaltic pump, right now I'm useing a aqualifter pump hooked up to a kalk reactor.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/20/2009, 08:27 AM
No, it is a diaphragm type of pump:

http://www.championlighting.com/home.php?cat=386

bertoni
10/20/2009, 12:09 PM
I have Master-Flex pumps that I got used from a local reefer. They're nice, but new ones are expensive.

tmz
10/22/2009, 09:02 AM
I use a spectra pure liter meter 3, I bought used .Pricey for kalk wasser dosing, in my opinion, Runs great without problems though