PDA

View Full Version : lion fish.

lougotzz
10/11/2009, 09:43 PM
Lion fish are only bad in reefs for inverts they can fit in their mouths right? Like if a small lion fish came across a giant mexican turbo snail, it wouldnt eat it unless it fit in its mouth?

Lion fish also wouldnt hurt corals right?

FMarini
10/12/2009, 07:48 AM
correct-
lionfish dont eat corals, and they usually leave alone snails, hermit crabs, sea urchins and cukes
Lionfish are only bad for a reef in that they limit the size of the fish you can keep in the reeftank- they dont usually bother sessile inverts

Nighthawk31
10/12/2009, 11:27 AM
My lion has eaten 3 hermit crabs shell and all. This number may be higher but I've definetley seen him eat 3.

reefergeorge
10/12/2009, 06:05 PM
All of them will be different.
I have a reef safe porcupine puffer. He only has a taste for small fish. Others will have different experiences.
Buy it and find out for yourself. Unless its a large lion, and its going in your 29.

Mikeeal
10/12/2009, 06:22 PM
They'll gobble shrimp up though wont they?

lougotzz
10/12/2009, 06:23 PM
All of them will be different.
I have a reef safe porcupine puffer. He only has a taste for small fish. Others will have different experiences.
Buy it and find out for yourself. Unless its a large lion, and its going in your 29.

lol, its not going in the biocube.

namxas
10/13/2009, 09:37 AM
They'll gobble shrimp up though wont they?

shrimp + lionfish = "dinner is served".

they'll also eat crabs.

one of the only problems you MAY have is that some lions are "perchers" and will literally sit on a coral until it is stressed out. IME, even if you move the coral, the fish will follow it. our current volitans is like this.

the last volitans i kept was never a problem, however. i haven't seen this behavior in any of the dwarf lions we keep.

anbosu
10/13/2009, 10:56 AM
I have a fuzzy dwarf lion that occasionally perches on a soft coral I have in my reef tank, but I mostly think it is because it is also a reddish color so he thinks he is blending in. Doesn't seem to bother the coral though, so not the end of the world.