PDA

View Full Version : Buying used live rock

DC_40gallon
10/12/2009, 10:28 AM
Would you buy used live rock from someone elses tank if it looked good?

What should you look out for?

I have an opportunity to buy some cheap cured LR from someone who is getting out of the game for a different hobby (children) and is selling their live rock cheaper than base rock ($2/lb). Reason for selling is because of bad timing, a LFS nearby is having a cured LR sale right now at $3.99/lb.

I'd like to grab 15-20 lbs if possible, but want/need your thoughts and advice before going and taking a look. This guy has nearly 100lbs of cured LR to chose from.

Blown 346
10/12/2009, 10:39 AM
Would you buy used live rock from someone elses tank if it looked good?

What should you look out for?

I have an opportunity to buy some cheap cured LR from someone who is getting out of the game for a different hobby (children) and is selling their live rock cheaper than base rock ($2/lb). Reason for selling is because of bad timing, a LFS nearby is having a cured LR sale right now at $3.99/lb.

I'd like to grab 15-20 lbs if possible, but want/need your thoughts and advice before going and taking a look. This guy has nearly 100lbs of cured LR to chose from.

Yes I would.

I would look to see if the rock smells ( any signs of die off).
Really sepnd some time and check to make sure they are no bad hitchhikers like crabs,mantis.

I would also look for any type of nuisance algae growth. If it has some its not a reason to not buy it, but you would have to either scrub the rock to remove it and rinse it off, to remove any spores for the algae to come back to. or Cook the liverock to kill the algae at hand.

Otherwise I wouldnt have an issue buying it if its a good price either way algae or not.

SBGRAD24
10/12/2009, 10:40 AM
I'd be most concerned about any unwanted hitchhikers on the rock. Red planaria (flatworms), aiptasia and mojano anemones are the main ones I'd look for. I might also test his water to be sure things aren't too out of whack.

twok2lcdcnc
10/12/2009, 11:49 AM
I'd say go for it, especially if you know the guy and you know if there are any of the aforementioned problems with it.

Plus, it's easier to take a good hard look at it and see if you can spot anything, while it's in his tank...

$2/lb sounds like an awesome deal.

lordofthereef
10/12/2009, 11:57 AM
I pretty much has reserved myself to buying only liverock from other tanks. Way cheaper and I find that if the person cared about the tank to begin with, much fewer bad hitch hikers than even some LFS LR.

TBHockey
10/12/2009, 12:02 PM
I agree with lordofthereef, all of my LR is from others on Reef Central, if your unsure about anything just isolate the LR with a Pump and heater in a container for a few weeks or so, I did this because i was in the process of upgrading from a 55 to 210 and my LR is in great condition as is my tank because it was kept well.

KenT
10/12/2009, 12:04 PM
Great advise above!! Aptasia and mojanos are the anenomes that are hard to get rid of and can get out of control. Parasites are also a concern but a good dip will kill them. Ask if the tank has ever been treated with copper. If is is a FOWLR, it may have been treated with copper to kill Ick. Other reefers are usually the best source for livestock, especially friends!

DC_40gallon
10/12/2009, 12:06 PM
sounds good, at $2/lb cured and in his tank for nearly a year I am trying to find room to put 15-20 lbs. I have 30 lbs now in my 40breeder but at $2/lb it's almost worth grabbing 20 lbs and finding a cheap 10 gallon tank on CL to keep stuffed full of LR for the future.

lordofthereef
10/12/2009, 12:14 PM
sounds good, at $2/lb cured and in his tank for nearly a year I am trying to find room to put 15-20 lbs. I have 30 lbs now in my 40breeder but at $2/lb it's almost worth grabbing 20 lbs and finding a cheap 10 gallon tank on CL to keep stuffed full of LR for the future.

Remember though that if left too long just in a tank and not fed the bacteria will eventually die off. Probably not completely, but hte bacteria need feeding as much as the other organisms in your tank do :)