PDA

View Full Version : Glass Tank Repair

diverdick
10/12/2009, 02:42 PM
I have a 54 gallon tub style tank I used for a sump once upon a time and the end panel broke. I removed the broken piece and had another cut to replace it. The problem I may/may not have is this: The panel came in a little narrow. Roughly .050" narrow. Will silicone be able to keep this together?

Any experiences like this out there?

Kind Regards,

--Rich

uncleof6
10/12/2009, 03:42 PM
I have a 54 gallon tub style tank I used for a sump once upon a time and the end panel broke. I removed the broken piece and had another cut to replace it. The problem I may/may not have is this: The panel came in a little narrow. Roughly .050" narrow. Will silicone be able to keep this together?

Any experiences like this out there?

Kind Regards,

--Rich

That is about 1.27mm and seams should be around 1mm to 1.5mm so you should be fine, however I would use a very good silicone such as RTV108 (Grainger). Now if that is your seam allowance + .050" then I would head back to the glass shop......

Just a note here: When you have all the old silicone off the glass, it is still there. Acetone, steel wool, and a lot of elbow grease. If the glass is not like new, the new silicone will not hold.

Regards,

Jim