PDA

View Full Version : Good bye 2 part, hello calcium reactor. Help please

PogoMonogo
10/12/2009, 04:27 PM
Well, my 90g aquarium has been doing great and I have been using BRS 2 part in an attempt to keep alk under control. I have been doing this for a 2 months, and it does nothing. I am uniterested in increasing my dosage because it just seems to not make sense at this point for the amount I would need to add. I am currently adding almost 200 ml a day, with my alk still dropping significantly each week. So I have decided to go the calcium reactor route. The korallin calcium reactor seems to be amongst the best reviewed universally. Anyone have any suggestions regarding these? I am planning on oversizing the calcium reactor, but past that I really know zero about them. Any advice or comments are welcome, thanks.

James77
10/12/2009, 04:30 PM
How are you dosing the 2- part?

I had the same problem earlier this year, and it was from dosing it too quickly- it was precipitating. You need to space it out as much as possible, preferably using a dosing pump.

200 mL is alot of 2 part for a 90, and Id hazard to guess that the same thing that was happening to me is also your problem.

James77
10/12/2009, 04:32 PM
On the Korallin- I would go for the Geo. Ive had a Korallin, and found it to be a PITA. The Geo's consistently get great reviews on RC.

I actually prefer the 2-part. I find it easier to control precisely, and you can independently control alk and calcium.

PogoMonogo
10/12/2009, 04:55 PM
hmm, that would be nice. I'll give that a shot and see how it goes.

James77
10/12/2009, 05:02 PM
I had been adding a fairly large amount of 2-part, 120 ml comes to mind on a very low demand tank, and when I testing there was actually a decrease the next day. When I tried correcting it, I was dumping most/all the solution in at once, and having the same problem.

First, i would correct your levels using the following calculator:
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html

Add it very slowly, I dripped mine over the course of 2 days. Once you get it to the right levels, I would add the 2 part slowly over several doses a day. Even dilute it in RODI water to make it easier. If that does solve the problem, I would get a couple dosers from bulkreefsupply- they make life fun again not having to dose:).