PDA

View Full Version : ETA on probe expansion module

thefu
10/12/2009, 06:03 PM
I have an apex with a PH and ORP probe connected and want to connect another PH probe. When will the hardware come out that will let me do this. At MAX this year I was told there would be such a device at <$100

Also, are we getting closer to the new software package release that will have better logging and graphing?

I would like some official info from Curt or other authorized rep on this.

I really need that extra probe.

kenargo
10/12/2009, 06:22 PM
The PM1 contains has temp, 1 probe and 6 switch inputs and is set to list for $75 (probe extra). The module can handle a PH or ORP probe; selected through programming. The release date for the module is 3-4 weeks out still. The updated formware/web pages should be hitting beta any time (within the next couple weeks).

thefu
10/12/2009, 06:25 PM
Can I pre-order the module?

kenargo
10/12/2009, 06:30 PM
Can I pre-order the module?

Not yet, I'll ask Curt but usually pre-order is about 2 weeks before ship so I suspect a couple weeks from now you will be able to; I'll get back to you...

kenargo
10/12/2009, 07:03 PM
Just got word...

Pre-orders will likely start next week, and shipments will begin in the second week of Nov.

Curt

thefu
10/12/2009, 07:05 PM
sweet, thanks.

And the new software that will expand the graphing capabilities?

kenargo
10/12/2009, 07:07 PM
The new webpages that add support for "Last 7 days" should be in beta any time, I'm guessing early next week.

thefu
10/12/2009, 07:22 PM
why only 7 days?

kenargo
10/12/2009, 07:32 PM
why only 7 days?

It's a matter of the amount of data. In the Apex the graph page shows all active probes (unlike the AC3 that shows 1 at a time). The amount of data for 3 probes * 7 days is quite large and beyond that the page becomes unusable as it takes so much time to tranfer the data that the page appears locked up.

thefu
10/12/2009, 07:43 PM
I think that is an implementation issue. If the algorithm only sampled the data every 10th data point, you could get 70 days...for the cost of seven (or eight with extra overhead) with only the loss of data granularity which you don't need at that range anyways.

Now, if the data structure in the Apex for accessing this data does not allow for anything other than sequential access (not an addressable array) then this would not be possible on the Apex side I guess but would be from an application that can collect the data and store it locally.

Am I making any sense?

kenargo
10/12/2009, 07:57 PM
I think that is an implementation issue. If the algorithm only sampled the data every 10th data point, you could get 70 days...for the cost of seven (or eight with extra overhead) with only the loss of data granularity which you don't need at that range anyways.

Now, if the data structure in the Apex for accessing this data does not allow for anything other than sequential access (not an addressable array) then this would not be possible on the Apex side I guess but would be from an application that can collect the data and store it locally.

Am I making any sense?

All your statements are true, including that the Apex (nor AC3) perform any kind of sampling. The Apex does have the added complexity that each day's log is a separate file and flash tends to be slow but as you point out there are ways around it. All that said the plans I understand from Neptune is that only last 7 days are currently planned, what the future holds I do not have; the Apex is bound to grow in facilities over time, it is still new and to some extent is growing into its cloths (it you know that I mean) and I'm sure we will see many exciting things over time.

aninjaatemyshoe
10/15/2009, 10:16 AM
In addition to the pH/ORP probe expansion, when will the salinity expansion module be available? Also, will there be a variable speed pump expansion in the future?

kenargo
10/15/2009, 01:13 PM
In addition to the pH/ORP probe expansion, when will the salinity expansion module be available? Also, will there be a variable speed pump expansion in the future?

The last official word from Neptune is fall 09.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1712720&highlight=MACNA

Lightsluvr
10/30/2009, 02:16 PM
Any updates on the PM-1?

I checked the Neptune web page and couldn't find any reference to it...

LL

kenargo
10/30/2009, 03:48 PM
Any updates on the PM-1?

I checked the Neptune web page and couldn't find any reference to it...

LL

Very soon; the beta firmware adds support so that will need to be finalized and it is looking good with that respects. The PM1 is in beta as I understand it so I think it's on schedule to be min November per last estimate.

jjstecchino
10/30/2009, 09:54 PM
Waiting impatiently on the probe expansion module!

Has pre-order started yet?

kenargo
10/30/2009, 11:06 PM
The Lite pre-orders should start in the next week (or so); the PM1 a week or 2 after. Once the firmware is released (any day) start looking...

mockery
10/30/2009, 11:14 PM
Has the pricing for the lite been set? What features does it lack compared to the regular apex?

kenargo
10/31/2009, 12:01 AM
Has the pricing for the lite been set? What features does it lack compared to the regular apex?

Yes, read about it here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1712720

or feel free to ask questions and I'll answer them as I can.