PDA

View Full Version : Help with a stocking plan... 90G

BongoSolo3
10/13/2009, 10:44 AM
90G RR, 30 gal sump.. not filled yet (still figuring out the lighting I want to go with, prob T-5's. But have not ruled out LED yet).

Once I have the lights, I'll fill er up. A million questions, but let me start here:

At what point do I add LS and LR - immediately or during the nitrogen cycle?

After nitrogen cycle is completed, I eventually start stocking. I start with my cleaning crew, right? Any recommendations on #'s to start out with?

My wife wants to get a pair of clowns - should we have an anemone established before we introduce them?

She also wants a tang - yellow or hippo, so I figured I would go yellow as I've read our 90 is probably on the small end of sizes needed for a hippo - right?

After that, I'm pretty open to recommendations as far as what to stock with. As far as coral, I believe my lighting choice will limit me to softies which I am fine with.

Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated (as always!)

tcwoodrn
10/13/2009, 10:55 AM
Add the LR and LS the same day you fill the tank. Add a cube of frozen for an ammonia source and start monitoring your levels.

When your ammonia and nitrite are 0, I would add cleaner crew. I would start with maybe 20 hermits and 15 snails.

A week or two after the cleaners (if the params are good) you can add the clowns. Personally I would not introduce an anemone in the beginning of a tank. They most likely will take a while to host in it anyway. I had mine for almost 8 months before I gave them a GBTA and they started hosting in it within 2 weeks.

I would add a tang way down the road. They are very sensitive. A Yellow is a better option than a blue hippo in a tank that size, but I'm not the tang police and think you can put either in if you like.

jflick345
10/13/2009, 10:57 AM
Add your LR and LS when you fill up the tank and it will jump start your cycle. Just test the water to keep tabs on it.

I would hold off on the CUC until you start to see algae so they have something to eat.

Clowns first b/c anemones need clean stable conditions to thrive. AKA, you're take should be well established and stable before you add it. Clowns have also been known to host in certain corals suchs as toadstool leathers, frogspawn, bubbles, etc. so you wouldn't necessarily HAVE to have an anemone. Also, clowns can live w/o one.

I've seen people keep both. Yellow might be better. I also like the Tomini and Kole tangs and they some of the smaller ones. Regardless, tangs need open swimming room so keep that in mind for the aquascaping.

For corals and that stuff when it comes time, get involved in C-SEA. Lots of good people that will help you along the way and sell (give away) starter frags cheap.