PDA

View Full Version : propagation of zoas

koranAngel
10/13/2009, 06:26 PM
i managed to find the colours that im after in zoas, (main colour i was after bright blue but no one had them anywhere so i settled for purple blue)
now im at the stage of propagating them

what im trying to achieve is a nice big flat rock covered in mixed coloured zoas

my question is can i mix these zoas on one platform will the different colours go along fine or harm each other

has any other reefer done this of some sort??

marioensf
10/13/2009, 07:01 PM
Well, my zoas don't seem to kill each other, but some tend to be faster growers than others

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg197/marioensf/Aquariums/DTW5209005.jpg

koranAngel
10/13/2009, 07:09 PM
wow nice mix
and thanks for the picture

yeah i figure that as well some i have are quite fast growing

redfishsc
10/13/2009, 07:22 PM
Normally you can grow most any zoa alongside the others.

However, the end result IMO tends to look like a pile of brightly colored, randomly scattered marbles rather than a nice, fat colony.

I like my tank to have a nice "across the room" look where big, bright colored colonies can catch your eye from a distance. A mis-matched zoa rock with 4 or 5 different colors on it tends to end up looking more like camouflage than a nice beautiful colony.

I'd rather see a handful of big, "monochromatic" colonies. They appear much more to be one big solitary animal.

marioensf
10/13/2009, 07:24 PM
Thx.

I did not plan for this to happen, I just set up the tank and added a few heads since I wanted something in the basement, couple months after it was running by itself (cycling) they were added and they are propagating nicely; at home I don't do so well with zoas; I transfered most of the frags to this tank and exploded with color.
There are some slow growers like purple deaths, PPE, blue tubs that I have to keep an eye on but are growing at a decent pace.

sabien
12/05/2009, 03:30 AM
I've got the problem of these brown zoas overtaking my pretty LOTR zoas. It's frustrating to watch the colony colors turn to turd brown