PDA

View Full Version : Steel stands

Haddonisreef
10/13/2009, 08:28 PM
So im gonna build a steel stand for the 180 and want to know whats the best way to connect the face (wood) to the steel! Was thinking some tyoe of liquid nails or something!

hillscp
10/13/2009, 08:34 PM
Stainless Steel Screws. Clamp the face frames to the steel, drill holes and screw them together.

T Man
10/13/2009, 08:56 PM
I would use a self-tapping or tek-head screw, they hold better that any construction adhesive. Available at any hardware store, they eliminate drilling and come in various types of heads. TinMan

noahm
10/13/2009, 09:00 PM
Lots of guys use the rare earth magnets from places like magnets4less. They are super strong and you can remove the panels easily. Just drill the appropriate size recess with a forstner bit in the backside of wood and glue the magnets in. The magnets are pretty cheap.

Haddonisreef
10/14/2009, 05:24 PM
So ordered my steel today it will be 2x2 11 gage. I will be doing all the welding! Plan on making it in 2 parts. What kind of paint would you recommend for the steel after stand is fabracated!?

T Man
10/14/2009, 06:34 PM
What kind of paint would you recommend for the steel after stand is fabracated!?

After a good protective primer there are lots options as far as spray paints - it's really what you prefer....flat, gloss etc. I have found that an epoxy based paint stands up best to moisture, it's a bit pricey but gives a great end result.

I built a stand a few years back that I painted with "truck bed liner" spray,
I was very happy with the results. It's has a real rugged finish to it, just the results I was looking for......bulletproof (kinda).

There is also the option to have it powder coated by a professional, that is about the best protection available....it's more expensive yet, but you get what you pay for.

Post some pics of your progress :D. T

Haddonisreef
10/14/2009, 07:16 PM
The stand will be faced w/ oak and cherry finish so just need something that will resist moisture!

Octopus8
10/14/2009, 07:20 PM
Back in the 80's I built a freestanding hardwood cabinet that simply slipped over the steel aquarium stand from the front. It had hinged doors to allow access to the sump, etc. It looked just like most of the typical cabinet style aquarium stands available today. The back of the cabinet could be removed by taking out a few screws. The sides, and front were then free to slide forward completely off the stand in one piece if necessary. It was strictly a decorative sheath that provided no structural support. The factory steel stand did all the work.

Haddonisreef
10/14/2009, 07:25 PM
Thats what im after Octopus 8 Let the steel do the work and just have it look nice!

mx36
10/14/2009, 08:25 PM
I used herculiner, a diy bed liner on one my stand. It worked great

noahm
10/14/2009, 08:39 PM
So ordered my steel today it will be 2x2 11 gage. I will be doing all the welding! Plan on making it in 2 parts. What kind of paint would you recommend for the steel after stand is fabracated!?

Check out Hammerite. I have it one my stand and I've spilled SW all over it over time. I use it on anything that just can't get rusty. No rust whatsoever. I used to have a test sample on a steel disc outside on the oregon coast. Half was painted half not. The painted half didn't get one speck of rust in 8 years.

Haddonisreef
10/16/2009, 05:56 AM
Thanks will look into Hammerite

Rennsport
10/16/2009, 07:40 AM
POR15 is a great rust inihibitor -- can be brushed or sprayed. Expensive, but amazing stuff. I used it on my stand, finish looks very very shiny and professional looking despite being applied with a foam brush!

This image isnt the best, but you can see its shine
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff169/rennsport751/Fish%20Tanks/IMG_6815.jpg

fishsticks4sale
10/16/2009, 07:55 AM
wow really sweet stand there looks strong

Haddonisreef
10/17/2009, 07:20 PM
Do you have to order this POR15?