PDA

View Full Version : KH/Alk test kit?

Hornet
10/14/2009, 08:15 AM
I think I currently have an API KH test kit at home and I'd like to get something that is gives me a better reading. The test kit I have requires me to put drops in 5ml of water and 7 drops + color change means 7 dkh. I'd like to get a test kit where I could get incremented readings like 7.4 or 8.1 or something.

What kit do you guys suggest? Thanks for your opinions.

redfishsc
10/14/2009, 10:39 AM
You can achieve something similar with the API, just use 10ml of water and count every drop as .5ppm. Or, use 15ml of water (and a different test vial) and each drop would be .33ppm. Granted, it will do half or 1/3 as many tests, but it will get what you are looking for until you can replace the kit.

A.VOID
10/14/2009, 10:43 AM
Salifert KH does what you want. Relatively cheap too

Hornet
10/14/2009, 12:06 PM
You can achieve something similar with the API, just use 10ml of water and count every drop as .5ppm. Or, use 15ml of water (and a different test vial) and each drop would be .33ppm. Granted, it will do half or 1/3 as many tests, but it will get what you are looking for until you can replace the kit.

Wow, has anybody ever told you your a genius?:idea: It's a simple idea that should have be slapping me in the face. Don't know why my dumb butt did not think of that. I'll make do with this process until I make another online order then I'll probably order a Salifert KH as A.Void suggested.