PDA

View Full Version : best frozen food brands....

spamreefnew
10/14/2009, 09:46 AM
i wish to keep my system free of dirtrus,phosphate,and nitrate this time around. witch frozen food brands/types will help me do this?

redsea reefer
10/14/2009, 10:24 AM
I stick with Ocean Nutrition and Hikari

I also rinse the food before I feed that's what gets rid of the Phosphates.

spamreefnew
10/14/2009, 11:42 AM
humm,,i wonder just how a rinse will remove phosphates? interesting....

redsea reefer
10/14/2009, 11:54 AM
Thaw out a cube of frozen mysis in a glass cup of RO water, stir it and look at how dirty the water is.
The phosphate is not in the food, its in the water they freeze it in. Stir the food and drain. Repeat process till water is clear.

Billybeau1
10/14/2009, 02:42 PM
As much of a PITA it is, redsea is right.

Rinsing frozen foods of any brand will only help. :)

jlinzmaier
10/14/2009, 03:05 PM
As much of a PITA it is, redsea is right.

Rinsing frozen foods of any brand will only help. :)

+1

It is a PITA but a good husbandry practice. From what I understand there is some phosphate in the preservative or gel (or preservative gel - LOL!) added to frozen fish food.

Make sure you don't rinse Rod's food if your feeding that. You'll be washing away all the good stuff. From what I understand, Rod doesn't use any gels or preservatives that add po4. Or maybe he does, but regardless, rinsing it would wash away all the small particulate food for the corals.

Jeremy

bertoni
10/14/2009, 04:03 PM
I would avoid rinsing food that's made from ground ingredients. In addition to Rod's food, I'd add add the Formula 1 and 2 frozen foods. Whole prey items, like mysid or brine shrimp, should be okay to rinse.

trbike24
01/12/2010, 12:58 AM
The phosphate comes from the moisture in the food and SFB has like upper 90% moisture in their food.

Flipper62
01/12/2010, 01:16 AM
I would avoid rinsing food that's made from ground ingredients. In addition to Rod's food, I'd add add the Formula 1 and 2 frozen foods. Whole prey items, like mysid or brine shrimp, should be okay to rinse.

Jonathon,

I have been doing this for years.......I have been told that I'm wrong.......BUT

I dont rince anything.......What I do, And I know it sounds like a PITA. But Problems it the tank are also a PITA.

I put down a piece of paper towel....then a piece of cheese cloth on top. Then the food on top. I let the crap water from the food soak through the cheese cloth into the paper towel. Then I take the food of of the cheese cloth, Mix it with some of the tank water, then pour it all around the tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/12/2010, 07:43 AM
I use Formula 1 and 2 and Prime Reef frozen cubes with no rinsing. I also sometimes use fresh/frozen or canned seafoods.

The phosphate comes from the moisture in the food and SFB has like upper 90% moisture in their food.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but there is a lot of phosphate necessarily an integral component of any food. Rinsing does not remove that part, and you wouldn't want to, since it would have to remove protein and a lot of other biomolecules (phospholipids, DNA/RNA, ATP, etc).