PDA

View Full Version : Best Copper Test Kit

balloonpilot
10/14/2009, 01:36 PM
I was told that one reason SPS's dont live long in my tank might be copper - not sure how accurate that statement is because fish/clams/shrimp all live and grow nicely.

So I ran out to the LFS and got a test kit - only one they had was by Red Sea. This kit read ZERO copper.

How accurate are these kits? If not good, which brand should I be using? I've got Salifert for my other testing

Billybeau1
10/14/2009, 01:50 PM
If shrimp are doing well, I doubt copper is your problem. I have not tested any copper test kits but, in general, I have had problems with Red Sea in other test kit areas. I'm sure others will chime in but I think I'd be looking elsewhere for your SPS problems. From what I've read, Salifert and Seachem have pretty good copper test kits. :)

balloonpilot
10/14/2009, 01:53 PM
Yes I've been looking at water chemistry, age of tank, etc. Since tank is only 2-3 months old I'm thinking of backing off my quest to raise SPS until its more mature (im told once the purple/pink stuff growns like crazy then its time for SPS).

Billybeau1
10/14/2009, 02:06 PM
The purple/pink stuff they are referring to is macroalgae usually coralline. And yes, if you got that going for you, your tank is in pretty good shape. :)

balloonpilot
10/14/2009, 02:11 PM
coralline - yes thats what I'm talking about... Non of it yet. Ive seen others w/ JBJ 28's that have the entire back wall covered but mine still looks new. Once piece of rock near front of tank has a spot about size of a dime and there is a spot on back wall size of pencil eraser... So I'm just going to let tank age then try SPS again.

Thanks

Billybeau1
10/14/2009, 02:30 PM
:thumbsup:

Good luck. Patience is a virtue in this hobby. :D