PDA

View Full Version : What tool to use.

mellowhead
10/14/2009, 02:43 PM
I am wanting to cut a few 1/2"-1" ventilation slits across the top of my canopy. I want it to be a clean cut and not look like it was done cheaply. The slits will not reach the edge of the canopy, so for my 6' canopy I plan on making say 5' slits. Which tool would I go about doing this? Thanks a bunch for any help with this, I'm not the handiest person in the world.:p

Regards,

billdogg
10/14/2009, 02:47 PM
I would use a plunge router with a spiral upcut bit of whatever size you want the slots to be. Just use something as a straightedge (a factory edge on a sheet of plywood will work) and run your router along that.

swenholz
10/14/2009, 02:49 PM
A router with a plunge bit would be your best option. If you don't have that, drill 2 holes at either end of where you want the slit to be and use a jig saw to connect the dots.

der_wille_zur_macht
10/14/2009, 03:05 PM
It would be really handy to know what your canopy was made from - material, thickness, structure, etc.

Hawkdl2
10/14/2009, 05:21 PM
A router and something for a guide is likely the best way to do this. If you are planning on a number of slots, I would suggest you make two sets of slots ~2.5' long rather than one set of long 5' slots leaving a solid area spanning the width at the middle to keep the canopy rigid. If you're only making a couple of slots with plenty of solid material in between, then 5' slots would be fine.

To be certain, though, it would help to know the material, dimensions and thickness of the canopy.

Reefugee
10/14/2009, 05:55 PM
Agree with everyone above!

cannarella
10/14/2009, 07:28 PM
When you use the plunge router :spin3:, make sure you make multiple passes at say 1/4" per pass. Use the up cut spriral probably 1/4" diameter bit.

jtemple42000
10/14/2009, 07:35 PM
Do as stated above, but clamp a a guide to at least one side of the router to ensure a nice straight cut. Or you could clamp 2 guides to the canopy, leaving just enough room for the base of the router to fit between, this will ensure that the router doesn't take off on you..

mellowhead
10/14/2009, 07:43 PM
Good stuff, thanks a bunch. The canopy is made of 3/4" oak and measures 74.25"lx20.25"wx15.75"h and the back is open. I like the idea of making 2 slits instead of one longer one too. Anything specific I need to know about using the router other than using a straight edge as a guide?

Thanks again,

EDIT - Beat me to my questions! Awesome stuff.

Hawkdl2
10/14/2009, 07:56 PM
1. Practice on scrap before you go at your canopy
2. Make sure your guides are secure
3. Keep the router moving at a steady not-too-fast-not-too-slow pace (or you will burn the wood - see #1))
4. Make multiple shallow cuts (as stated above)
5. Make sure the collet is securely tightened on the bit
6. WEAR EYE PROTECTION
7. do #1 again

mellowhead
10/14/2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks for that last one!

So, this bit http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100046844/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053, with this router http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xge/R-100064372/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053 would work?

Thanks again guys, this is really helpful.

Edit - Just saw that bit is online order only, I'll try to find one that's at the store already.

jtemple42000
10/14/2009, 08:08 PM
Lowe's usually has a pretty good supply of router bits in store. Check them out. Sears usually does too..

Oh, and, it's been a while since I used my router, but it will cut and push better from one side of the bit versus the other. When you "practice" you will see what I mean...

not sure where you are at in Jacksonville, but the East Jacksonville Lowes has this in stock...
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=57163-353-85911MC&lpage=none

cheap router that will get the job done and not break the bank...
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=109589-353-1825&lpage=none

Hawkdl2
10/14/2009, 08:25 PM
I have 5 or 6 routers including Craftsman, Porter-cable, Milwaukee and Bosh - some cheap but most mid priced to expensive. I use each of them for different applications (OK, I also like collecting tools). At the end of the day they all route. The question is for how long and how clean of a cut (from shaft wobble). My Craftsman and the cheaper Roybi and B&D sold now my Lowes and HD are hobbyist grade - at best, and will work for this project and the odd job for some time (most likely). I've gone through 3 Craftsman and never gone through one of the other higher quality routers that I use way more.

The price on the Ryobi doesn't come up for me but expect to pay ~$200 for a decent plunge router. Check Amazon, they have a plunge Milwaukee for $130. They make good routers, though I don't own that particular model but it looks like a very good deal. Otherwise, yes these will work.

cannarella
10/15/2009, 05:52 AM
Remember routers to left. So keep the strait edge on the left side. If you put it on the right side it will have a mind of its own.

driftin
10/15/2009, 07:42 AM
You said in your first post you're not a handy guy - are you ever going to use the router again? I'm all for collecting tools, but that's a fair amount of money to drop if it's only going to be used for a few passes. I'd suggest either finding one you could borrow, or doing the previously mentioned "two holes and a jig saw". With a guide you can make very straight lines with the jig saw.

der_wille_zur_macht
10/15/2009, 07:47 AM
And/or another solution - a $15 hole saw to make some holes in one end, then find a nice grille to cover them.

Either way, make it a "complete project" - don't just hack some holes and run it. If you expose bare wood, put a water resistant finish on it, for instance. If you leave sharp edges, chamfer them. etc.

cody6766
10/15/2009, 10:14 AM
If you have a dremel you could buy the plunge router attachment and a good bit. It'll likely take longer, but is cheaper than buying a router.

der_wille_zur_macht
10/15/2009, 10:17 AM
Using a Dremel to cut 1" slits the length of a hood in 3/4 oak would be like digging the Panama Canal with a soup spoon.

Better to spend $5 on a 6-pack of beer and find a friend who owns a router.

mellowhead
10/15/2009, 08:10 PM
All done! :dance: As suggested I used a plunge router w/1/4" up spiral bit. Worked wonderfully, especially sense I have never used a router. I will mount my 4 vantec stealth fans in the middle at water level and have them all blow inwards. I went with 2 slits on the sides only, as I am hoping it will draw more of the cooler air to the sides sense there will be more hot air rising through the top then in the middle of the canopy. This is why only one slit on the middle. The 2x250 MH sit just under the side vents as well. If I had more time I would have taken a better picture, but the wife is on the way home and I need to clean up! :lol: Anyway, thanks again to all that helped. I could not have done it without your input.

Regards,

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c202/Mmellowhead/canopyafterusingrouter002.jpg

cody6766
10/15/2009, 09:40 PM
Using a Dremel to cut 1" slits the length of a hood in 3/4 oak would be like digging the Panama Canal with a soup spoon.
haha, I forgot to note the slit dimensions. Great reference, btw! I giggled a bit.