View Full Version : tank fog

Fireworm
10/14/2009, 05:25 PM
I tested my water tonight. It looked pretty good really

ph 7.8 - a little low I know

Am and Nitrate = 0

Cal = 460 +/-

Alk = 9

I mixed up some of the bulk reef mixes the other night and dosed yesterday. Since I dosed my tank has a fog, Almost like the sand bad got stirred up, or I just added new sand. I did dose a little bit of Mag, but not more than 2oz, the cup I used only holds 2oz.

Any idea on the fog?

bertoni
10/14/2009, 05:27 PM
If the alkalinity was overdose, the fog might be calcium carbonate precipitation. I'd let the water (or a sample) settle and check the alkalinity.

Fireworm
10/14/2009, 05:47 PM
I don't think the alk was an over dose though based on my numbers testing tonight, around 24 hrs or so later. But that is what I thought at first to. The corals and fish all look fine. All open and good color.

bertoni
10/14/2009, 06:32 PM
Hard to say then. I guess I wouldn't worry that much if the alkalinity looks good after the water has cleared. If the problem is precipitation, an alkalinity test kit might not work well since it'll dissolve some of the particles and measure them as dissolved alkalinity.

Fireworm
10/14/2009, 07:26 PM
so should I do my water change of 5 gallons and see what happens or do I let it go and see what happens? I do not run carbon, but should I put a bag in or a bag of chemi pure

bertoni
10/14/2009, 11:56 PM
Since I'm not sure what the cloud is, I'm not sure how to treat it, but a small water change is fine. I wouldn't bother with Chemi-Pure or carbon to handle this situation.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/15/2009, 04:39 AM
Is this the first time you've used those additives?

How much of what?

Fireworm
10/15/2009, 05:14 AM
Is this the first time you've used those additives?

How much of what?

The first time I have used this batch, but I have used the mix from Bulk Reef for a couple of years now. Never had this problem.

I dosed 4oz of Cal, I dosed 3 oz of Alk, and I dosed around 2oz of mag.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/15/2009, 10:54 AM
Maybe one of the ingredients is not what you think.

They all dissolved in the fresh water OK?

Fireworm
10/15/2009, 07:30 PM
Yes they all dissolved ok. The Mag did not mix I guess 100%, but they said that was normal, and to just shake it before you dose.

After coming home from work tonight though, it looks great. No fog what so ever. Although I need to clean it looks like.

Will dosing vodka hinder dosing the three elements at all?

bertoni
10/15/2009, 11:57 PM
Vodka dosing won't have any effect on those parameters. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/16/2009, 04:47 AM
The fog may not have been from the additives. I can't see that there'd be a problem from them if they are what they say (and assuming alkalinity or pH is not way higher than normal)

Try adding them separated in time so you can tell which, if any, causes the cloudiness again. :)

surge19us
10/16/2009, 06:28 AM
If you are dosing vodka it could have been a bacterial bloom.

Fireworm
10/16/2009, 05:33 PM
The fog may not have been from the additives. I can't see that there'd be a problem from them if they are what they say (and assuming alkalinity or pH is not way higher than normal)

Try adding them separated in time so you can tell which, if any, causes the cloudiness again. :)

Yes, I will do that for sure. I would really like to get a couple dosing pumps, but we will see. Maybe Santa will be nice this year.