PDA

View Full Version : which dosing controller/pump ?

fullmonti
10/14/2009, 06:40 PM
I would like to automate my top off system. The way my sump is set up a normal ATO won't
really work. I am doing it manually now & thats fine but some day we'd like to be able to go on a vacation, or even away for long weekend. I fix some kalkwasser in top off water at night & set it up on a drip, during day I just add small glass of water 2-3 times a day.

My question is could a unit like the AquaMedic reefdoser or LiterMeter with 2 pumps be set up to dose a predetermined (over the course of half a day) amount from a day & night jug of top off water? Or if you have another suggestion to accomplish this?

RLHornbeck
10/14/2009, 06:59 PM
Without adding a controller I can only think of two ways to do this.

The first has a bit of a problem in that you would not have day night control. It would be a system that runs like a regular ATO in that you would have a float switch running a switched outlet that is connected to both pumps. You would need two pumps that are both variable speed so you could regulate how much of each you would dose. Not exactly what you asked for but would ATO with both RO and kalwasser mixture.
Items needed:
2- dosing pumps (variable speed)
ATO float switch kit

The second would do all you want but be a bit more complicated. You would basically hook up two ATO systems except they would be on timers so that one would work during the day and the other would work at night.
Items needed:
2- dosing pumps
2- ATO float switch kits
2- Timer controlled outlets

Maivortex
10/14/2009, 07:53 PM
I have been using Toms aqualifter pumps for 5 years. They cost under $20 and last for years. I have one hooked up to a timer and a drip line that goes on at night for kalk addition. The drip line is airline tubing tied in a not to adjust flow. One drawback about using a not or any other type of restriction is that it can become clogged over time. If you choose this route, get a feel for how much it wil dispense b4 going on vacation.

fullmonti
10/14/2009, 08:27 PM
Guess I need to elaborate. I can't really use a float switch type ATO. I guess I need to find a pump that can be set to pump a preset amount (like x# of ml per hour} & then put them on timers. I have heard of them called chemical metering pumps but those are very expensive. Was hoping to find a more reasonably priced solution.

atvdave
10/14/2009, 08:38 PM
Litermeter III .... but there not cheap...

fullmonti
10/14/2009, 09:06 PM
thought those would work, but think it would take two, & they are about as much as metering pumps. Was hoping some one would know of some thing I had never heard of.