PDA

View Full Version : How much 100 proof vodka do you recommend?

thebradybunch
10/14/2009, 08:22 PM
I am going to start dsoing vodka to lower Nitrates and Phosphates. I am not a drinker so a friend is bringing me some vodka to try. I know what the recommended doses are for 80 proof but she has 100 proof. Is there a chart or recommendation for the amount to use for 100 proof vodka?

Thanks

bobparker
10/14/2009, 08:31 PM
melev has an article on the break down for dosing per gallon and numbers.....dosing starts with 80 proof 40% alcohol....Google vodka dosing for reef tanks. the search should take you right to his article

thebradybunch
10/14/2009, 08:40 PM
I'll check out Melev's site but I have Goggled it and found tons of articles including some good articles both here on RC and in ReefKeepers magazine and they only give dosages for 80 proof and each says to use less if you are using 100 proof. I am trying to find more exact numbers.

kgross
10/14/2009, 08:46 PM
100 proof will be 50% compared to 40% so So I would say start with 80% of the listed 80 proof starting point.

bertoni
10/14/2009, 11:58 PM
Yep, just multiple the dose by 0.8. :)

madadi
10/15/2009, 06:44 AM
i think exact numbers are hard to come by in this hobby because each system is different. start slow and work your way up or you will regret it like most people on here that didn't have patience with vodka dosing.

Genetics
10/15/2009, 09:01 AM
Within this you will find a table that expands covering 100 proof vodka. As mentioned it is 0.8x the dosing regimen of 80 proof.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/15/2009, 11:08 AM
I have a very different approach than that article, and while I do not advise others to follow my approach, it has worked for me and it highlights the levels of variation that one might usefully explore.

FWIW, I dose way, way more than these recommended doses (from the article), I test nothing related to nutrients, and the creatures in my system that I monitor (like several species of anemones) are doing as well or better than ever, and algae and cyano are kept in check better than when I used massive lit refugia and skimming alone.

So while I'm not suggesting anyone else do so, and I recognize that many folks seem to have had problems, I'm quite happy and I continue the high doses of both vinegar and vodka.

To my now 120 gallon display tank system that also that has several sumps packed with live rock, I've been dosing 100 -150 ml of vinegar (saturated with lime to offset the pH drop) and then on alternate days (not every day alternating, just random alternation, and often even codosing the same day) maybe 15-25 mL of vodka.

Paco
10/16/2009, 10:48 AM
To my now 120 gallon display tank system that also that has several sumps packed with live rock, I've been dosing 100 -150 ml of vinegar (saturated with lime to offset the pH drop) and then on alternate days (not every day alternating, just random alternation, and often even codosing the same day) maybe 15-25 mL of vodka.

Randy, since vinegar is 5% acetic acid ("10 proof"). Can I multiply the recommended Vodka Procedures by 8 and use those figures to dose Vinegar? I started slow about 6 weeks ago and I'm only up to using 20ml of vinegar in my 120. I'm thinking it's time to ratchet it up. WAY UP!

PS Not against Vodka but had vinegar at hand and I like using it to increase solubility of Kalk so I don't have to use so much water.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/16/2009, 11:42 AM
Roughly, yes. Vinegar is about 8-fold less potent.