PDA

View Full Version : cant keep parameters in check

deuce2002
10/15/2009, 07:47 AM
i have 180g with a 55g sump and a 20g fuge,i cant keep my parameters in check PH keeps dropping to 8.1 and when i use buffer it raises my alk to 11-12dkh,just to get ph to 8.2.my calcium keeps droping to 350ppm,im using IO salt and thats all i have ever use i dose daily normally i have a scheduke and an amount i dose daily i just cant keep them in check,dosing brightwell A and B and mag-p.I just recently started dosing brightwells Bio-fuel and Microbacter7 was having a problem with nitrates and i did some research and found this would help im following all dosing instructions on all products,What could be doing this?any input would be appreciated.Oh im also dosing kalk daily on a 1 second drip with a mixer.is having my Alk so high going to cause a problem what should i do,im making water now for a WC but that isnt going to happen till tommorow need the RO/DI thats what im doing now will be able to mix salt later in it,what to do people help!!!!

silentscream
10/15/2009, 09:05 AM
If I were in your position I would hold off on using any brightwell MB7 and Biofuel until my system was stable. Those products are very touchy and need a stable system to be of the most use.

Also, are you adding a buffer on top of adding part A and kalk? or were you just using the term buffer in reference to either part A or kalk? If you are adding a buffer in addition to the items you listed above, you might consider simplifying your dosing routine, as each of those 3 additions could have a profound affect on your tanks alkalinity level.

deuce2002
10/15/2009, 09:20 AM
im going to cut back on the use of part B which is alkilinity and was only using the Ph buffer to raise PH,thx for the advise on the mb7 and biofuel im going to cut that back slowly to see if that helps,dont want to just stop suddenly,also would it be good to do a good size WC im making RO/DI now and as it is making im adding salt also whats the shortest amount of time that i can use the salt mix normally i wait till the next day to use im thinking on doing 25g WC so since im adding salt as RO/Di is making can i use it later tonite figure it will be at salinity by 3-4pm if i did the change around 10pm will i be ok?

silentscream
10/15/2009, 09:37 AM
What happens when you stop using the pH buffer, does you pH drop below 8.1? I wouldnt worry too much about a pH of 8.1, sure its not 8.3, but let's not split hairs. You could then stop using buffer. The goal should be to simplify your daily additions. Many people keep amazing tanks just by adding ALK/CAL/MG and weekly water changes. No need to complicate your reef tank, otherwise you could burn out in the hobby and think of keeping a reef tank as a chore rather than a pleasure.

Water changes will help with your nitrates and parameters. Unless you nitrates are sky-high, a large WC is not necesary, but weekly smaller WC's would be a great way to stabilize your system. I typically wait at least a day to let my salt water age, but have mixed up to salinity and used after only a couple hours with no ill affects.

deuce2002
10/15/2009, 09:53 AM
cool i normally only use Ca,Alk and mag but since i had the drop i used the buffer,since alkilinity was high thats why i was going to do the WC should i wait cut back a bit see waht happens i did a 25g WC this past sunday

deuce2002
10/15/2009, 09:57 AM
oh and i really cant cut back on Ca or Mag i a dominate SPS tank and if i dont dose they suck it right up i loose about 60ppm or more in about 24hrs

bertoni
10/15/2009, 11:33 AM
pH at 8.1 is fine, and I would consider that a great level. Many tanks run lower than that.

pH buffers are just high-pH alkalinity supplements, in the end. The cause of lower pH in systems is carbon dioxide. Fresher air might help. Also, limewater will consume carbon dioxide more effectively per unit of alkalinity than most of the buffer products.

I'm a little concerned about the rate of calcium consumption. Depending on the accuracy of the kit, that's fairly high. What are the alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium levels currently?

This article might help with dosing ideas:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

This article discusses pH:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php

deuce2002
10/15/2009, 01:08 PM
well right now with all lites on and days have been on for about 2hrs my mag is 1380-1400ppm salifert Ca is 400ppm salifert and Alk is 12 dkh sera ran out of salifert but it tests the same. sera says Alk should range from 8-12 dkh.and right now my Ph is 8.3 salifert,ph probe says 8.2.Im thinking on not dosing alk for a day or 2 and watch it real close,what do you think?

bertoni
10/15/2009, 01:11 PM
I think those numbers sound fine to me. If you want to run alkalinity a bit lower, that's okay, too. I agree that it should be watched closely.

deuce2002
10/15/2009, 01:21 PM
i will watch all closely i just dont undestand how PH dropped like it did alk went so high all parameters are fine now,need to lower alklinity a bit,just dont get it.

bertoni
10/15/2009, 02:45 PM
Many homes have fewer open windows at this time of year, which can lead to lower pH in our systems as carbon dioxide levels rise.