PDA

View Full Version : nem suggestion

fullmonti
10/15/2009, 08:35 AM
I have a 180 sps tank with a pair of ocellaris. Would love to have a nem for the clowns, but had a bad experience with ritteri. I understand LTA anchor to bottom in sand, & do they move around?? If true would this be a good choice for my tank? Or what would be better?

jon1985
10/15/2009, 09:05 AM
From what I have read Ritteri are the worst movers followed by BTA. I have a saddle carpet nem in my tank for about 6 months and it moved about 2 inches from where I placed it just to get tighter to the rock, and BTA that has been in the tank about 3 months and not moved at all. LTAs are supposed to be fairly good for not moving similar to carpets but easier to care for. But nothing will stop any nem from moving.

clowns101
10/15/2009, 03:57 PM
Ritteris do not move around much IMO.I had one for some time till "I" moved it and it died.If I were you I would think you could handle doing an Sebae Anemone as they do not need much but a VERY stable tank as any Anemone needs.

But befor I can say what you CAN Do in your tank we all need to know about the set up and how the levels are terting out within the tank.Also need to know about the lighting set up to know what type of anemone you can keep.If you have an sps tank I think you should be okay.But like I said "WE" meed to know.

davocean
10/15/2009, 04:06 PM
Yeah, nem should match setup, and if sps, most likely has high flow/light.
I had about 40x turnover in my 180g sps/mixed.
I made the mistake of getting both LTA and sebae many years ago, sebae could take all the light and flow I could put out, but LTA was much more sensitive, not fond of heavy light/flow at all.
I got away w/ it by putting in a cavey area, so it could pull in/out as needed.
I agree both are sand dwellars and easier to control, and my LTA was really easy once I knew what it liked, and placed in right area it wouldn't venture.
Keep in mind, they both get big, and will take up coral space, need lots of room in between them and corals.

fullmonti
10/15/2009, 09:39 PM
I've been doing some more research, & I think the space thing is going to be the real problem. I only have about a 10-12" open space on sand bed for one, so even if I got a small one eventually I would run out room for it.

I know I really need another tank!
thanks for input

marc price
10/16/2009, 09:15 PM
You may want to consider a sand dwelling H. malu.
imo, they're more sensitive than H. crispa, requiring special attention to be certain it's feeding, etc. but generally are very,very slow to grow greater than ~8"ø oral disc / ~1.5" tentacles.

fullmonti
10/16/2009, 09:33 PM
You may want to consider a sand dwelling H. malu.
imo, they're more sensitive than H. crispa, requiring special attention to be certain it's feeding, etc. but generally are very,very slow to grow greater than ~8"ø oral disc / ~1.5" tentacles.

I would like to consider it, but I don't know what it is (sorry full name please)

clowns101
10/17/2009, 10:38 AM
Heteractis Malu(Yellow Sebae Anemone IMO) .They look just like a Heteractis Sebae(Sebae Anemone IMO).They are Yellow and are not always the prettest anemone.Iv seen much more colorful.And most of the time when you have a yellow colored anemone they are(not saying always but most of the time)died to look that way and soon after die.

fullmonti
10/17/2009, 01:25 PM
I had finally figured out which it was & found some info on them. One other thing said about them was not to many clowns would host in them. From what I can tell Ocellaris really only like ritteri & carpets, both get to big for the space I have. It looking more & more like it will be another tank in same system or no nem. Any other ideas?

clowns101
10/17/2009, 01:40 PM
Ritteris and Carpets probaly will not get to big for that tank.If you want a naturtal host for Occelaris I would do a Gigantea IF big word IF you have done your homework and can find a VERY healthy one!This is the chart that I use to tell if the anemone is a natural host or not!

Anemone Compatible Clownfish Species
Bubble Tip Anemone (Rose Anemone)
Entacmaea quadricolor Amphiprion akindynos - Barrier Reef Clownfish
A. clarkii - Clark's Clownfish
A. frenatus - Tomato Clownfish
A. melanopus - Red and Black Clownfish
A. ocellaris - Ocellaris Clownfish
Premnas Biaculeatus - Maroon Clownfish

Long Tentacle (Corkscrew) Anemone
Macrodactyla doreensis A. clarkii - Clark's Clownfish
A. perideraion - Pink Skunk Clownfish
A. polymnus - Saddleback Clownfish
Premnas Biaculeatus - Maroon Clownfish

Pizza or Carpet Anemone
Cryptodendrum adhaesivum A. clarkii - Clark's Clownfish
A. frenatus - Tomato Clownfish
Premnas biaculeatus - Maroon Clownfish

Sebae Anemone
Heteractis malu A. clarkii - Clark's Clownfish
Premnas biaculeatus - Maroon Clownfish

Magnificent Anemone (Ritteri Sea Anemone)
Heteractis magnifica A. akallapisos - Skunk Clownfish
A. percula - Percula Clownfish

Leathery Sea Anemone
Heteractis crispa A. chrysopterus - Orange Fin Clownfish
A. polymnus - Saddleback Clownfish

Giant Carpet Anemone
Stichodactyla gigantea A. clarkii - Clark's Clownfish

Saddle Carpet Anemone (Haddon's Sea Anemone)
Stichodactyla haddoni A. chrysopterus - Orange Fin Clownfish

Condy Anemone
Condylactis gigantea No reported relationship with clownfishes

Haitian Reef Anemone
Condylactis spp. No reported relationship with clownfishes

Tube Anemone
Ceranthus membranaceus No reported relationship with clownfishes

Rock Anemone
Epicystis crucifer No reported relationship with clownfishes