PDA

View Full Version : bacterioplankton, waterborne?

kaskiles
10/15/2009, 12:11 PM
Is bacterioplankton only waterborne bacteria, or would it also include surface attached bacteria (that may or may not have been detached from it's surface by agitation, turbulence, etc.)?

Thanks!

Billybeau1
10/15/2009, 12:43 PM
Probably only waterborne, but that is an uneducated guess. Google the word and you will probably get your answer. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/15/2009, 01:40 PM
What is the context of the question?

Plankton is by definition "drifting" in the water, not attached to surfaces such as rocks and glass.

kaskiles
10/15/2009, 05:19 PM
Well, I'm under the impression that the zeo type media filters are stirred to get the mulm off of the media. I think that the mulm is surface attached bacteria. I've read some references to SPS corals feeding on zooplankton, including bacteria based plankton (I'm assuming this is bacterioplankton). This seems to fit with the zeo type system claim that the mulm from the reactor will feed corals.

Then more recently, I read a sentence from a post on here (I think from Boomer) that stated when comparing levels of waterborne bacteria found in natural reef environments to that of reef aquariums; the levels were far higher in the natural environment.

So I was just wondering if these two types of bacteria are the same, within the context of corals potentially feeding on them.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/16/2009, 04:51 AM
Yes, they hope that the released bacteria will feed corals, and it seems reasonable for that method and other methods, including simple vodka or vinegar dosing.

Identifying species is far harder than counting bacteria, fwiw.