PDA

View Full Version : B-Ionic question and test kit question

njp14333
10/15/2009, 12:11 PM
I have 2 almost full 32oz bottles of the 2 part B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System. My question is since the exp. date is 5/10/07, is it still usable u think or should I just throw it out? It'd be ashamed, the stuff's expensive.

I also have a "Master Liquid Test Kit" and a calcium test kit. The calcium test kit says it went bad on 12/31/08 but the master test kit doesn't have an exp. date. Iv owned it for I would say 2 years now tho. What about these test kits, should I buy all new stuff?

Billybeau1
10/15/2009, 12:18 PM
The B-Ionic is probably still good if it have been stored tightly capped.

I would throw the master test kit in the circular. Your other calcium kit is probably still good. What brand is it ?

njp14333
10/15/2009, 12:20 PM
The master kit is made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals and the calcium test is made my Hagen. Thanks

Billybeau1
10/15/2009, 12:25 PM
Then I'd throw them both in the trash. :D

I have not found Hagen kits very reliable, even when new.

I would buy a new API kit. They are cheap enough. :)

Before you purchase, open the box and look at the date on the bottle. It says Lot # and should be the last 4 digits of that number. If that number is within a year or so, the kit should be good.

bertoni
10/15/2009, 01:09 PM
The B-Ionic will be fine, although it might need to be shaken or heated if there's been some precipitation. I agree that the test kits likely need to be replaced.