PDA

View Full Version : Will i get a cycle?

Saltfun2003
10/15/2009, 04:19 PM
Setting up a new tank currently have a 65g with 30g sump. with about 50-60 pounds of live rock. Moving into a 190 with 100g sump 65g reffugium. Have to set up a temp holding tank for coral and fish while new tank gets put in old tanks place so i will only be able to save 50g of old water. New tank will use all old live rock plus another 100 pounds of dry rock i have sitting around. Since going with so much new salt water vs pounds of old rock and water do i think i will see a cycle?

Billybeau1
10/15/2009, 06:02 PM
Maybe you will maybe you won't. I think you need to allow sufficient time to allow your new rock to develop the biological filtration the tank needs to handle any added livestock.

The live rock you currently have will probably hold the tank until you add more creatures since you are moving up to so much more total water volume. :)

adambirk
10/15/2009, 06:37 PM
i went from a 90 gallon to a 150 display with 55 sump and i have had a bit of a cycle. i added all my rock out of my old system(150lbs) and about 75 gallons of water out of my old tank. the sand was new and about 100 gallons of new water. so i would say that yes you are going to see a cycle so be prepared for it.

i would recomend if you have anyone that you could have hold your corals or livestock i would recomend you do so. i lost 2 acros, 3 monti caps, 1 encrusting monti, eagle eye zoos(havnt opened in 2 weeks), and a copperbanded butterfly i have had over a year.

Mentat
10/15/2009, 07:21 PM
...New tank will use all old live rock plus another 100 pounds of dry rock i have sitting around...
Dry rock usually has some dead organic matter in it. If you have kept it in salt water for a couple weeks and all readings are at zero, there is a chance the bacteria on those 100 pounds of rock will help buffer and prevent a cycle.

On the other hand, if you are adding 100 pounds of rock in dry status to tank, that will probably trigger a cycle.

Saltfun2003
10/16/2009, 02:03 PM
the new tank is not being set up for another 3 weeks or so going to do a few water changes on current tank and use that water to start curing some of the dry rock in a trash can. Should i place a live rock from my current tank into the bin to help seed the dry rock or is there enough stuff in the old water to get it on its way?

Frogmanx82
10/16/2009, 02:25 PM
You should just be able to move something out of your sump if you want to add some critters.

If you have all your rock and don't add any livestock, you should be ok. I agree pretreating the dry rock is a good idea.