PDA

View Full Version : Getting really frustrated >_<;;

Amoore311
10/15/2009, 07:25 PM
Ok I've been having multiple small problems with my ACJR, and I'm about ready to throw this thing through the window. In a last ditch effort to get this darn thing running properly, I'm going to list my exact set up, and my exact program in the order I have it.

Here's the problems I am having:

-Lights and protein skimmer will randomly turn off and turn back on. The controller will say they are on, when they are not.

-I just noticed my Alkalinity pump is not dosing at the correct time today. Alk should not be dosing prior to 10PM, and it was dosing at 8:30ish. Judging by my alk test it is also dosing more often than it should.

Thing I have checked:

-The time on the controller is correct.
-All of the connections are good.
-Everything is in Automatic Mode.

I'm using an AC JR w/ Serial Port, DC8, and Socket Expansion. The controller is not hooked up to any computer. I did buy the controller used. The serial number on the DC8 is DC812520

Here is what I have plugged into each outlet:

A01 - LIT# (3 x 250 Watt Halides)
Socket expansion plugged into A01 w/ the Metal Halide ballast plugged into the Socket Expansion

A02 - HET# (2 x 300 Watt Heaters)

A03 - SKM# (Protein Skimmer (2) Sicce PSK2500 pumps)

A04 - ALK# (1) Drews Dosing Pump for Alkalinity

A05 - FAN# Halide Fixture Fans

A06 - COL# Sump Fan

A07 - Empty

A08 - CAL# (1)Drews Dosing Pump for Calcium

I also have a dummy timer on slot P01 named DAY#.

Now here is my program in the exact order it comes on as I scroll through my controller's menu

If Time > 10:30
Then LIT# ON

If Time > 21:30
Then LIT# OFF

If Time > 10:30
Then FAN# ON

If Time > 21:30
Then Fan# OFF

If Temp < 78.5
Then HET# ON

If Temp > 79.0
Then HET# OFF

Max Change 015
Then LIT# OFF

If Time > 12:00
Then COL# ON

IF Time > 00:00
Then SKM# ON

If Temp < 50.0
Then HET# OFF

If Time > 22:00
Then COL# OFF

If Power 015
Then LIT# OFF

If Time > 05:00
Then DAY# ON

If Time > 22:00
Then DAY# OFF

OSC 001/059 ON/
Then ALK# OFF

If Tmr DAY = ON
Then ALK# OFF

OSC 001/059 ON/
Then CAL# OFF

If Tmr DAY = OF
Then CAL# OFF

If Power 003
Then SKM# OFF

That is exactly what my program is in in the exact order as I scroll through my "Modify State" menu in the timer program. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.... I just don't know what.

Help me......:sad1:

kenargo
10/15/2009, 07:36 PM
Things turning themselves off as you describe are often a case of electrical interference (usually induced into cables) and Neptune has a procedure they can walk you though that will test the stability of the communication channels between the controller and devices. I'd suggest calling them and see what the test show.

Something to try, if you have not already is to be sure that the cables (especially the control wire) is not close to large power deviced; ballasts are especially bad.

Amoore311
10/15/2009, 07:45 PM
Here's a pic so you can see what I'm about to describe lol.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg215/amoore2326/DSC_0026.jpg

The object off to the right of the tank(180 Gallon Oceanic) is a 3 Drawer Dresser. The controller just sits on top of the dresser for now. The first drawer of the dresser holds the DC8, and the outlet expansion module. The second drawer has a Vortech Controller, and a small power strip. The bottom drawer just has food and test kits in it.

The ballast for my lights is on the floor, behind that dresser.

Would that be too close do you think?

I'll also call Neptune next Tuesday, unless they are open on the weekend.

There's nothing wrong at all in my code right? If it's random on/off from interferance I can deal with that until Tuesday night.

kenargo
10/15/2009, 07:52 PM
Here's a pic so you can see what I'm about to describe lol.

The object off to the right of the tank(180 Gallon Oceanic) is a 3 Drawer Dresser. The controller just sits on top of the dresser for now. The first drawer of the dresser holds the DC8, and the outlet expansion module. The second drawer has a Vortech Controller, and a small power strip. The bottom drawer just has food and test kits in it.

The ballast for my lights is on the floor, behind that dresser.

Would that be too close do you think?

I'll also call Neptune next Tuesday, unless they are open on the weekend.

There's nothing wrong at all in my code right? If it's random on/off from interferance I can deal with that until Tuesday night.

IMO I think this is something random; does it fix itself after 5 minutes (that would be when the AC resends commands to the DC8)?

Send Neptune an email; support@neptunesys.com and they should get back to you even tomorrow.

Amoore311
10/15/2009, 08:01 PM
It does fix itself. I'm not sure of the timing though as I've only ever been near the tank for the whole random on/off cycle once.

It could very well be 5 minutes, I know it wasn't much longer than that if it was any longer.

I'll email Neptune now

Amoore311
10/16/2009, 02:03 PM
After a little back a forth with Curt I've basically got down to the following...

Either there is interference, which Curt said doesn't seem apparent, but to check the #'s again when the lights or another piece of equipment is malfunctioning to be sure.

Or

My coding is causing the problem.

sohal1025
10/16/2009, 02:29 PM
Let me know when it is going through the window so I can be there to catch it....

kenargo
10/16/2009, 03:09 PM
Something to try...

I've seen cases where a brown-out caused some 'random' things to happen which were cleared by an Init operation. Remember to save off your program if you decide to try this (no need to re-enter it all).

Amoore311
10/17/2009, 03:22 PM
Ok so I am in the process of moving the ballast farther away from the controller, just in case that is causing the problem.

Does the ballast need to be far away from the DC8, the Controller itself, or both?

kenargo
10/17/2009, 04:32 PM
Ok so I am in the process of moving the ballast farther away from the controller, just in case that is causing the problem.

Does the ballast need to be far away from the DC8, the Controller itself, or both?

It's the wires more than any 1 component. I had issues early on and moving the ballasts an additional 6" away and I hadn't had problems since.

Amoore311
10/17/2009, 05:02 PM
I moved my ballast about 3 feet to the right of where it currently was.

We shall see how it goes.

I haven't noticed and problems with the lights again, but I did notice the alkalinity pump was on again when it wasn't supposed to be. This was before I moved the ballast.

Putting that outlet on manual, then turning it to "Off", didn't turn the dosing pump off either. The calcium one is working fine though. We'll see if moving the ballasts makes a difference, hopefully it does.

RussM
10/17/2009, 05:17 PM
I did notice the alkalinity pump was on again when it wasn't supposed to be. This was before I moved the ballast. Putting that outlet on manual, then turning it to "Off", didn't turn the dosing pump off either. The calcium one is working fine though. What outlets are your dosing pumps on?

I'm guessing that the alk pump is on #1,2,3,5,6, or 7 and the Ca pump is on #4 or #8. Low-power devices may need to be on Outlets #4 or #8 for reliable operation.

Amoore311
10/17/2009, 05:25 PM
Alk Pump is on DC8 #4, Calcium is on #8, or vice versa.

Is it possible the outlet is bad? I assumed the outlet just wouldn't turn on if it was bad.

rbnice1
10/17/2009, 05:44 PM
4 and 8 on my DC8 are actually backwards. OFF commands turn it on and ON command turns them off. Not sure why. Is yours backwards like mine by chance?

Amoore311
10/17/2009, 06:52 PM
That's odd that yours run backwards.

My calcium outlet is working fine, and I haven't noticed it pumping when it shouldn't be. Then again it's off during night time... when I wouldn't be looking lol.

In manual mode, when I tried to turn the calcium on and off it worked fine. The alkalinity would not turn off though, I'll go down and try now and see if that's the case. I would think if the outlet was backwards the dosing pump would be on 24/7, not just intermitantly at the wrong time.

I know the alkalinity has been running more than it should because my alkalinity jumped 3 DKH in 3 days lol. I've since taken the alkalinity solution off the pump. I still have the pump plugged into the controller though to see when it's on or off.

I'm saying a little prayer that moving the ballast works. Can I use a shielded CAT5 Cable for the control Ken? I work for a datacomm cable manufacture, we have about 450,000 FT of CAT5 Shielded laying around the warehouse. I can make a quick patch cord with that if it will work.

Amoore311
10/17/2009, 07:09 PM
:sad2::sad2::sad2:

When I went to check that outlet I noticed the lights were on off again... and the alk pump was dosing away.

Seems to be the light turns itself off at around the same time every night and morning. Very odd.

I have to email Curt now and see what he says.

piusma
10/18/2009, 06:41 PM
This might sound silly but have you reconfirm you have all the outlets address right. That is, you sure your outlet #4 is actually #4 according to your ACJR?

I found the outlet numbering confusing at the beginning when I first set up my ACJR. I had to plug a light in each of the outlet and manually turning it on and off to confirm that I know which outlet is which.
Steven

Amoore311
10/19/2009, 09:24 AM
I'll double check to make sure. But I'm 99% sure I have the outlet addresses correct.

I need to plug a different device into my Alk outlet when I get home from work tonight, since the dosing pump won't turn on/off in manual mode. If another device has the same problem, that outlet is trash.