PDA

View Full Version : All fish in my DT are dead except for a yasha goby so will crypt live on goby?

Korrine
10/16/2009, 07:08 AM
I'd like to leave my tank empty to let the possible crypt die off, but my yasha goby is still doing good. He has his tunnels that the pistol shrimp makes for him and I really don't want to dig him out to put in the QT tank. I think that'd be a lot more stressful than just leaving him.

So am I right in thinking that the crypt could cycle itself on the goby and it's pointless to add fish ever again?

Gwynhidwy
10/16/2009, 07:10 AM
Yes, your goby will be a host. If all your other fish died from an ich outbreak he'll have to be treated in another tank while your DT is fishless.

Korrine
10/16/2009, 07:12 AM
so hypo is my only option :worried:

that sucks.

Gwynhidwy
10/16/2009, 07:18 AM
so hypo is my only option :worried:

that sucks.

Since I don't use hypo, I definitely wouldn't say that hypo is your only option, but treatment is in order. Having sick fish is always a bummer though.

Korrine
10/16/2009, 07:19 AM
gobies are scaleless fish so copper can't be used. Copper is only effective if it's maintained at certain levels, if I'm not mistaken. Gobies can't handle those levels :(

Korrine
10/16/2009, 07:21 AM
Since I don't use hypo, I definitely wouldn't say that hypo is your only option, but treatment is in order. Having sick fish is always a bummer though.

Tell me about it...I lost this:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg200/kj23502/sw%20tank/mypottersangel.png

Gwynhidwy
10/16/2009, 07:23 AM
As I understand it, Cupramine is safe with scaleless fish. It is even used on sharks and rays. However, there is also the tank transfer method.

Beautiful potter's, sorry about your lost fishies. :(

Korrine
10/16/2009, 07:34 AM
I'm not finding anything to say if it's ok w/scaleless fish or not. I'll keep reading though.

Sucky part is I would have to tear down my rock and dig around in the sand to get the goby out of his hole. I will probably also have to drain the tank to at least half otherwise I probably won't be able to catch him as he's flying around the tank.

Maybe I'll just concentrate on coral. If the goby lives for years then it's fine. I just won't add any new fish until after he bites the dust and my tank goes fallow.