PDA

View Full Version : wat do i put in first??

discus510
10/16/2009, 03:50 PM
ok i got my 320 gallon tank yesterday. man lifting the tank into was not fun at all. amazing got it thru door where stairs was in way and didnt even scratch tank. just got all plumbing done last nite at like 1:30 am was about to fill with water and do a leak test until why came down " what the hell u doin still up at this time playin with ur fish tank" lol so after work today at nite time im goin to fill with water and do leak test. im just wonderin if everythin is ok and ready to stock tank wat should i do?? should i mix saltwater first in tank let it run for 2 days and throw all live sand in and rock or can i throw all live sand in then put in water and let it mix?? i was thinkin of mixin the saltwater in the 300 gallon bucket i have in garage first than throw sand in tank and add water but i dont want to carry 300 gallon of water from garage to tank its about 50 ft away

welldigger
10/16/2009, 03:54 PM
Leak test, drain then sand and rock. Mix your water outside and then put it in. That's what worked for me. I once made the mistake of trying to slowly pour sand into a tank full of water. It was a murky mess for three days!

dave90ztt
10/16/2009, 03:56 PM
definately let the tank cycle first before introducing any livestock in it. I would fill the tank and get the water cycling around first to make sure there is zero leaks anywhere before adding sand.

welldigger
10/16/2009, 04:00 PM
I agree with Dave. You don't want anything except water, rock and sand in that thing for a while. Definitely needs to cycle first.

VacavilleFC3S
10/16/2009, 04:18 PM
wouldn't it be smarter to leak test it outside??? just in case it bursts

lougotzz
10/16/2009, 04:25 PM
Yeah I dont get that, why do people leak test in their house? lol. ive seen that so many times. I leak test in my garage.

am3gross
10/16/2009, 05:27 PM
my leak test was for the plumbing... wanted to make sure there were no big leaks.... i was sure the tank was good.... just had doubts about my plumbing skills

strout
10/16/2009, 07:18 PM
How about some pics of the new tank??

discus510
10/18/2009, 01:55 PM
i will get pics up as soon as i get all the sump and everythin in. im goin post lots of pics been takin pics while workin on it just havent put it up yet. goin to put up all pics at once =) so it wont be a tease